- Optional Kathmandu sightseeing tour
- Explore Pokhara valley
- Observe Magar and Gurung Culture
- If you are lucky you might come across with wild pig, leopard, and porcupine, langur monkeys
- Trek though through a dense forest of oak, maple, hemlock and rhododendron
- Likely to encounter with Mountain Thar, blue sheep, Yak, pheasant
- Annapurna sanctuary can be witnessed and the panorama view is beyond imaginations, witnessing south of Annapurna and all of the peaks in the sanctuary including Hiunchuli and Machhapuchhre from Upper View Point.
- Remarkable warm hospitality
The Mardi Himal Trek is an ideal choice for trekkers who are looking for isolated routes in Annapurna Region, it is the lowest and perhaps the least visited of the trekking peaks in Nepal.
The trail goes along small winding paths, through magical rhododendron forests until you climb out of the forest. The landscape changes quite abruptly into a rugged high mountain landscape, with amazing views of Mardi Himal, Machhapuchhre, Annapurna South and Hiunchuli. This trekking route is that the trail makes a small circuit up to the base camp of Mardi Himal so that we don’t have to backtrack over the same terrain. In conclusion, numerous of new basic lodges and home stays have been built along Mardi Himal ridge therefore, it is now possible to do this as a lodge based trek rather than having to bring in a camping crew.
Mardi Himal TrekDownload Trip Dossier
Note: below trekking hours, altitudes and distances are approximate, and absolutely for general idea only.
- Day 01: Arrive at Kathmandu airport (1,302m/4,270ft)
Upon arrival at Tribhuwan International airport, our representative will be awaiting you to welcome with Nepal Sanctuary Treks placard. You will be then escorted and transfer to hotel. Further details and short preliminary briefing will be provided after transferring to the hotel. Stay overnight in Hotel.
- Arrival at charming and exotic city engrossed with ancient temples and tradition. Fused with lively markets and the bustle of spice sellers and merchants.
- Day 02: Optional Kathmandu valley sightseeing and Trek preparation
Kathmandu is the cultural heart of Nepal and popularly known as “City of temples”. After having hearty breakfast, we will explore vibrant and culturally rich Kathmandu valley. A guided cultural tour will be conducted inside the valley.
We will start off visiting Kathmandu Durbar Square, the traditional heart of Kathmandu and an architecturally extraordinary complex of ancient palaces, temples, courtyards and shrines. You are then taken to Swayambhunath (monkey temple) which is the magnificent ancient religious architecture and center faith of Hinduism and Buddhism. Its lofty white dome and dazzling golden spire are visible from far and wide.
Next, Buddhist shrine of Boudhanath, one of the largest stupa in the world as well as the sacred Buddhist sites in Kathmandu. Further, we visit Pashupatinath temple, a Hindu shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva located on the bank of Bagmati River. You can see elaborately dressed holy men meditating outside the temple and pilgrims placing offerings at the shrines. You can also observe people performing religious ritual and funeral pyres burn at open-air cremation.
After visiting fascinating cultural heritage sites, you will transfer back to Hotel. The evening can either be spent strolling the marketplaces in Kathmandu or resting at the hotel.
· Visit Heritage sites i.e. Durbar Square, Swayambhunath, Boudhanath, Pashupatinath
- Day 03: Kathmandu – Pokhara – Phedi (2,043m/6,702ft) 45 mins- 1 hour drive – Pothana (1,925m/6,315ft) 4hrs trek
You will be transferred to the airport and will take our flight to Pokhara, from Pokhara we will drive to Phedi from where our trek will start. We will meet our accompanying trekking crew there and after a short briefing about the trek we will leave for Pothana. We start our trek climbing uphill to Dhampus for 1 ½ hour. Further trek for 1 ½ hours to 2 hours will take you to Pothana. Stay overnight in Pothana.
- View of South Annapurna, Hiuchuli, Machhapuchre from Dhampus
- Pass through Gurung village, Dhampus
- Day 04: Pothana – Kokar [forest camp (2,600m/8,530ft)] 5 hrs hike
With an early start, we leave Pothana and trek to a village named Pitan Deurali and from there continue along a silent trail through a dense forest of oak, maple, hemlock and rhododendron. Ascending uphill we will reach our lodge in a Forest Camp or ‘Kokar’ as the locals name it. The lodges are basic lodges, you will not have dining room or lobbies so you have to have your meal with the owners and due to this you will be able to know more about the local people and their culture.
· View of South Annapurna, Hiuchuli , Machhapuchre
· If you are lucky you might come across with wild pig, leopard, and porcupine, langur monkeys
· Trek though through a dense forest of oak, maple, hemlock and rhododendron
- Day 05: Kokar – Low camp (3,150m/10,334ft) 4 hrs hike
With an early breakfast at the lodge we leave Forest camp and trek towards Low camp, the trail continues through forest. However, as we go higher the vegetations starts to change with more rhododendron and the trees are covered with moss, lichen and tree fens. As we reach Low camp we will go to our lodges which will be basic ones too, the view from here will be different and amazing as Mt. Machapuchare is visible up the valley.
- View of South Annapurna, Hiuchuli , Machhapuchre
- If you are lucky you might encounter with Himalayan Pheasant, Mountain Thar
- Day 06: Low Camp – High Camp (3,600m/11,811ft) 4hrs hike
After breakfast, we trek to high camp ascending all the way to high camp.We leave Low camp and continue our trek, the trail continues along the Mardi Himal Ridge on grass with some isolated rhododendron bushes. Through the trail you can see clear views of Annapurna south and Hiunchuli or if you’re lucky enough then spotting colorful Danphe Pheasant won’t be a problem. We will soon arrive at the High Camp and the lodge here is larger than the previous lodges, as they have dining rooms and heaters too. From the lodge we can see Annapurna south, Hiunchuli and the beautiful Machapuchare. We will spend the night here.
· Encounter with Danphe, blue sheep, mountain yak
· You can see the magnificent view of Dhaulagiri.
- Day 07: Hike to Upper view point (4,200m/13,779ft) 4hrs hike
We are staying back at higher camp today so hike will be organized for the day. First and foremost we wake up early in the morning for the sunrise views of the mountains. With an early breakfast we start our day hike towards Mardi Himal, today’s trail is well established, and there are grasses around and only couple of steeper sections. However, today’s hike is not a challenging one. During summer villagers from lower villages bring their sheep, goats and dzo up here for grazing and due to this you might witness many herders’ huts through the trail. After few hours of walking we will reach Upper view point from where Annapurna sanctuary can be witnessed and the panorama view is beyond imaginations, witnessing south of Annapurna and all of the peaks in the sanctuary including Hiunchuli and Machapuchare. After our hike we return to High Camp for accommodation.
- Encounter with Mountain Thar, blue sheep, Yak, pheasant
- Day 08: High Camp – Siding village (1,750m/5,741ft) 6 hrs hike
From today, we start our returning trek. However, we will take a different route as we don’t want to retrace the same route we came from and at the same time taking different route will complete a circuit. From Low Camp we will trek toward Siding village, the village is a traditional Nepalese village and still isolated from other trekking destinations and it is likely to home stay in siding run by the locals. It is a cultural experience staying home stay in this village and having traditional food for supper with the families in their kitchen. Stay overnight in Siding village.
- Mixed settlement
- Local homestay and several guest houses
- View of Machhapuchre himal
- Trek through rhododendron forests.
- Day 09: Siding village – Lumre (3hrs hike) – Pokhara (2hrs drive)
From Siding village after a good breakfast we join the trail that descends slowly downhill and cross the suspension bridge and walk through levelled path passing local villages all the way to Lumre. As a vehicle will be waiting for us, we will return to Pokhara and stay overnight at hotel in Pokhara.
- Traverse suspension bridge
- Pass through picturesque villages
- Day 10: Leisure day in Pokhara
Today we stay back in Pokhara and explore the city as it is one of the famous tourism sites of Nepal, you can either rest in hotel or explore the city. Stay overnight in hotel of Pokhara.
- Explore Pokhara Valley
- Enjoy the magnificent views of Himalayas and beautiful lakes.
- Day 11: Fly back to Kathmandu
Today we will take a flight back or drive back to Kathmandu. Our representative will transfer back to the hotel of Kathmandu. You have leisure time to take rest, explore around and shopping souvenir to your beloved ones.
- Day 12: Back home
It is time to fly back to home keeping all the terrifying experiences of Nepal in mind.The representative from Nepal Sanctuary Treks will transfer you to TIA airport where you should check-in 3 hours prior your scheduled flight.
Cost & Dates
- Guaranteed -
- Trek is Guaranteed to run
- Available -
- Trek is available to run in minimum group size is filled
- Limited -
- Only few space available
|Trek Start Date||Trek End Date||Price||Availability||Book|
|03 Mar, 2019||14 Mar, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|10 Mar, 2019||21 Mar, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|24 Mar, 2019||04 Apr, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|14 Apr, 2019||25 Apr, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|21 Apr, 2019||02 May, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|05 May, 2019||16 May, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|12 May, 2019||23 May, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|19 May, 2019||30 May, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|06 Oct, 2019||17 Oct, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|13 Oct, 2019||24 Oct, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|20 Oct, 2019||31 Oct, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|03 Nov, 2019||14 Nov, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|10 Nov, 2019||21 Nov, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|17 Nov, 2019||28 Nov, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
|24 Nov, 2019||05 Dec, 2019||US$ 870||Available||Book Now|
Not what you're looking for? Contact Travel SpecialistCustomize this Trip
- Max altitude : (4,200m/13,779ft)
- It is a new isolated trail with very few trekkers trekking
- Suitably designed itinerary for acclimatization
- Accommodation in the best-selected lodges and tea houses along the trail and in Kathmandu
- Amazing views of Mardi Himal, Annapurna Range, and Fishtail
- Traditional villages inhabited by Gurung, Thakali, Tamang etc
- Fauna found in the region- pika, blue sheep and Himalayan Tahr.
- Trail wanders through lush valleys, alpine pasture, lichen-laden dense forests, several streams, and waterfalls
- Best view of sunrise and sunset
- Picturesque Gurung villages, experiencing with local lifestyle and culture of Gurung ethnic communities
- Airport transfers,
- Private transfer to/from trek point
- Internal flight KTM-PKR-KTM
- 3 nights accommodation at ***Hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast,
- 2 nights accommodation at *** Hotel in Pokhara with breakfast,
- 7 days Tea house lodge with breakfast during trek
- Trek Permits & National Park Fee,
- Staff insurance on the trek,
- Trek guide & porter/s
- Duffel bag
What's not Included
- Lunch and Dinner in Kathmandu, Pokhara and on trek (approx. US$ 20 per day)
- Personal equipment,
- Personal bills,
- International airfare
- Excess baggage beyond 15 kilo including day pack Visa fee: US$ 25 for 15 days and US$ 40 for 30 days multiple entry
- Insurance (for cancellation, accident, health, emergency evacuation and loss, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects), Public Liability
- Optional Kathmandu Sightseeing tour
Kathmandu Sightseeing Full day tour: US$ 60 (based on min 2 pax)
Kathmandu Sightseeing Half Day Tour US$ 40 (based on min 2 pax)
(With transfer, English speaking guide and entrance fees)
Most Common FAQs
- 1 . Why choose Mardi Himal trek?
Mardi Himal Trekking is a newly started trekking route; the trail makes a small circuit up to the base camp of Mardi Himal. This trek is an ideal choice for you if you are looking for isolated trekking routes in Annapurna region.
- 2 . How fit do I need to be for this trek?
You will be walking for minimum of 5 – 7hrs a day, you don’t have to really fit but minimum level of fitness is required as the trek is not an easy one. You do have to be healthy and mentally prepared for trekking in this region although it doesn’t require mountaineering skills.
- 3 . What is the best time of the year for this trek?
The trek is possible throughout the year. However, autumn and spring are the best seasons; choose to trek in autumn (Sep-Nov) as spring is busy with expedition stuff.
- 4 . Why should I trek with Nepal Sanctuary Treks (NST)?
We (NST) believe in socially and environmentally responsible, sustainable tourism. Our personalized services are guided by these principles and our 27 yrs of experience in the field of trekking is invaluable in giving our clients quality service. Our itineraries are suitably designed for acclimatization and we use the best selected lodges through the trail and in Kathmandu.
- 5 . Can children trek in this region or are there any age restrictions?
Yes, children can trek as there is no age restrictions. Nepal Sanctuary Trek can design suitable trekking itinerary for all age group above 8yrs. However, for children fewer than 8 can have high time trekking for longer period of time and altitude sickness can be a problem.
- 6 . What to take for the trek (clothes, personal kits)?
To make it easier for you Nepal Sanctuary Treks have prepared you a kit check list, you can have a look at it below:
- 7 . Do I need travel insurance covered while trekking/traveling in Nepal?
Insurance is a compulsion as anything can happen in the trek; for emergency rescue, personal liabilities, cancellation, loss of luggage and other reasons if necessary.
- 8 . How much weight do I have to carry or how much will my porter carry?
You can bring as much as clothes you want but extra luggage is not required for the trek, you can leave your extra luggage in Kathmandu or Pokhara’s hotel. For the trek you can carry enough clothes you require in your backpack or carry only the camera, water bottle few clothes etc in your backpack. The potter can carry your extra duffle bag clothes which can weigh up to 15 to 30kgs and a camping porter carries up to 30kgs. However the local domestic flights allows maximum of 18kg per person.
- 9 . What medical facilities are there on Mardi Himal trek?
In case of emergency you need to get evacuated by helicopter to Kathmandu, you need to take proper care of your health. Anyways, you will find small clinics along the trek. However, you need to bring your medicine (if any) and a first aid box will be provided by Nepal Sanctuary Treks, also your guide will be trained for first aid in case of emergency.
For further enquiries you can contact Nepal Sanctuary Treks at: