- Visit Lo Manthang bounded by a huge town wall and several still standing structures.
- Entering Lo Manthang through the town gate you enter a different world. It is just wonderful to stroll through the narrow alleys. On several corners of the street, you can come across with small groups of women spinning wool
- You can observe the higher preserved Tibetan culture and can easily view the pristine nature.
- The trail encompasses the most natural, spiritual and auspicious values of the west Himalayan region of Nepal
- Ancient Tibetan Buddhist shrines like Stupas, Chortens, Prayer walls, mani walls, centuries-old monasteries and interact with Tibetan people make the trip most remarkable trip
- Observe herds of goats being taken back to the sheds which are inside the town during the evening. You can see the villagers are chasing their sheep, goat, horse, and cattle toward the meadow for grazing in the morning.
- You can see Yak herders are leading their animals through the main street and out of the town for food, their bells creating a harmonious Himalayan symphony.
- Visit kagbeni where you can see the interesting medieval settlement with closely filled mud blocks and brick houses, gloomy alleys , impressive chorten and apple orchard with Nilgiri on backdrop.
- Trek through Kaligandaki River gorge, the deepest canyon in the world
- Observe the most vibrant masked dance festival called Tiji during May.
- Visit numerous ancient caves comprising 9 stair cave, monasteries and exceptional land to observe during the journey.
- Chhoser cave is simply astonishing because of more than 50 separate rooms, all attached by a ladder.
- Trekking around quaint villages like Dhrakmar, Chele, Tsarang that captivated trekkers with its exceptional beauty of nature and Tibetan culture untouched by the modern civilization.
- Observe the local wear the attire in a more Tibetan-influenced style, with women wearing unique vibrant striped aprons and their hair in long braids.
Upper Mustang Trek is a charming valley snuggled in the spectacular Himalayas. This trek is the hidden heaven of Mustang which is a magnificent trek that the trekkers can experience. This region is recognized as the Last Forbidden Kingdom because, because before 1992 the region was forbidden to visit for foreign travelers.
Upper Mustang without a second thought, is the most unparalleled trekking trail up in the Trans-Himalayan Region of Nepal. It is an entirely different land which nurtures you with extreme pleasure perks beyond imagination.
Upper Mustang Trek is a well-known trekking destination in Nepal and offers you to discover the barren wilderness scenery of windswept sandstone pillars, red cliffs along with the discontinuous moraine terraces and magnificent cultural and biological assortment.
The 16-days trip commences in Kathmandu with cultural sightseeing at UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Then we take a flight to Pokhara and fly to Jomsom. Landing on the airport in Jomsom will be the awe-inspiring moment for you. Jomsom is popular for Apple, strong winds and spectacular Himalayan landscapes. This is a place where we start off the trekking. We follow the trail like the salt caravan route of the ancient days, during which the people of Mustang merchandised Tibetan salt with grain from the lowlands.
The trail of Trekking in Mustang follows the upstream through the quaint villages; Chhusang, Chele, Syanbuche, Ghami, Dhakmar, Charang with the incredible landscape, mountain scenery, wilderness, and monastery. The trail goes through numerous passes; the highest is the Nyi La (3,990m) and settle in green havens and reach the marvelous walled capital of Lo Manthang. It is located at the north of the Himalayas and just out onto the Tibetan Plateau
Finally, we take a flight to Pokhara from Jomsom and onto Kathmandu. The beautiful trail winds through barren landscapes, caves, chortens, buckwheat fields, welcoming people in picturesque hamlet settlements, horses, mountains left far behind in the south
The off the beaten and less trodden Upper Mustang bounded by the walls of Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, and Nilgiri on the north, Upper Mustang offers you with a lost culture of the forbidden lands of the past.
Trekking in the Upper Mustang helps you to simply find the unseen world of the most spectacular old Buddhist kingdom of Mustang which is also called as the Lo. In addition, you can witness the Tibetan culture that preserves the authenticity and still untouched by modernity. The region is affluent in culture, landscapes, primeval cave complex, monasteries and amusing legends of history that can leave one wordless.
Not only the culture and tradition but also the landscape is very much associated with Tibet. Mustang lies in the rain shadow of the Dhaulagiri and you walk in a completely barren landscape, bounded by rocks in all kind of colors and peculiar formations. And being in the rain shadows of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges, Upper Mustang trekking is ideal even during the monsoon (July-August)
If you are planning to trek during mid of May then you will get a chance to observe fascinating annual festival called-Tiji. The festival celebrated for 3 days at Lo Manthang palace involving Tibetan rituals that celebrate the legend of a son who had to save the Mustang kingdom from destruction. It will be a unique opportunity to witness the vibrant color, attire, dancing, and ritual that were exhibited by people in this place
Note: below trekking hours, altitudes and distances are approximate, and absolutely for the general idea only.
- Day 01: Arrive at Kathmandu airport (1,302m/4,270ft)
Upon arrival at Tribhuwan International airport, our representative will be awaiting you to welcome with Nepal Sanctuary Treks placard. You will be then escorted and transfer to hotel. Further details and short preliminary briefing will be provided after transferring to the hotel. Stay overnight in Hotel.
- Day 02: Optional Kathmandu valley sightseeing and Trek preparation
Kathmandu is the cultural heart of Nepal and popularly known as “City of temples”. After having hearty breakfast, we will explore a vibrant and culturally rich Kathmandu valley. A guided cultural tour will be conducted inside the valley.
We will start off visiting Kathmandu Durbar Square, the traditional heart of Kathmandu and an architecturally extraordinary complex of ancient palaces, temples, courtyards, and shrines. You are then taken to Swayambhunath (monkey temple) which is the magnificent ancient religious architecture and center faith of Hinduism and Buddhism. Its lofty white dome and dazzling golden spire are visible from far and wide. Upon arriving at the top, you can hear the Buddhist songs “om mani paddle hum” resound everywhere. The candles and the aromatic fragrance of incense that burns constantly create a serene vibe, and we can turn the enormous prayer wheels which encircle the stupa.
Next, is Buddhist shrine of Boudhanath, one of the largest stupas in the world as well as the sacred Buddhist sites in Kathmandu. You will observe the monk chant in the prayer hall while people lighting butter lamps and reciting mantras.
Further, we visit Pashupatinath temple, a Hindu shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva located on the bank of Bagmati River. You can see elaborately dressed holy men meditating outside the temple and pilgrims placing offerings at the shrines. You can also observe people performing the religious ritual and funeral pyres burn at open-air cremation.
After visiting fascinating cultural heritage sites, you will transfer back to the Hotel. The evening can either be spent strolling the marketplaces in Kathmandu or resting at the hotel.
Visit Heritage sites i.e. Durbar Square, Swayambhunath, Boudhanath, Pashupatinath
- Day 03: Flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara (895m/2,938ft)
We will be transferred to the airport and will take our flight to Pokhara; if it’s a clear day then you will be able to see amazing views of Annapurnas. After landing in Pokhara you will be escorted to resort. You have the rest of the afternoon free to explore around the city.
- Upon reaching Pokhara you will be overwhelmed with the tranquility of lakes and the radiance of the Himalayas escalating behind them that create a rhythm of harmony and magic.
- Day 04: Pokhara to Jomsom (2,800m/9,186ft), trek to Kagbeni (2,810m/9,219ft) 3-4hrs trek
We will have an early breakfast and then be transferred to the airport from where we will take a flight to Jomsom., You can see the spectacular scenery onward from Jomsom. It looks like dessert though encircled by the snow-capped Himalayas on either side.
We start off our trek on an open trail through treeless landscape. There is hardly any rain falls although the weather is cloudy but during winter there is possibility of snow fall. We trek the place like Ekle Bhatti where we stop for lunch. After a while, we continue our hike toward Kagbeni. You will witness an amazing splendor of kagbeni from distant. Further, the peak of Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri start to appear as you approach kagbeni.
- Tibetan Culture, picturesque unique settlement and their lifestyle
- Trek to Kagbeni following the Kaligandaki river gorge – the deepest in the world of its kind and a reason behind peculiar rock formations that can be found all around Mustang.
- Narrow cobbled alley and small Buddhist monasteries dispersed all around the village,
- Observe houses adorned with vibrant wooden window frames and doors will appeal you in no time.
- Visit Kagbeni monastery
- Kagbeni is the entry point to Upper Mustang
- Views of Nilgiri, Tilicho , Dhaulagiri, Tukuche peak along the way.
- Views of Thorong Peak from Kagbeni
- Day 05: Kagbeni to Chele (3,050m/10,006ft) 5-6hrs trek
We leave Kagbeni in the morning after breakfast. We get our permits checked; and authorized to enter the region. We begin trekking along the Kali Gandaki River. We ascend the ridge of kagbeni that offers the remarkable vistas. After we trek through up and downhill; we trek down to riverbed trail. Further, we have to go steep up and follow gentle ascent to reach Tangbe with narrow alleys. After several up and down onward from Tangbe, we reach Chusang. After lunch, we traverse the bridge and ascent steep up all the way to Chele. Chele offers a great outlook over the valley
- Observe cave along the way
- Observe typical little Mustang village, full of black, white, and red chortens, and with amply of narrow alleys between whitewashed houses.
- You can see the apple orchards and buckwheat and barley fields at Tangbe
- Pass almighty eroded red cliffs having numerous caves,
- Encounter with some terrifying Tibetan mastiffs in some of the houses, many of which have sheep horns above doorways at Chele
- Day 06: Chele to Syanbochen (3,475m/11,400ft) 6-7hrs trek
After breakfast we rejoin our trail, the trek from today onwards will level up and be more challenging. We begin our trek with the pretty steep uphill ascent. As we will be crossing two passes today. Once we reach Eklo bathi we trek further and ascend to Taklam La Pass through narrow stretches. Along the trail we will be offered with wondrous views of Tilicho Peak, Yakawa Kang and Damodar Danda. Further, we continue up towards Dajori La Pass (3,735m/12,253ft) and then descend down to picturesque Samar village. Then we trek uphill before we trek down to Syangbochen
- We enter a deep canyon where you can see petrifying suspension bridge to reach next side of Canyon
- Views of Tilicho Peak, Yakawa Kang and Damodar Danda.
- Visit Chungsri Cave
- Traverse the challenging passes
- Day 07: Syanbochen to Charang (3,500m/11,482ft) [via Ghami] 7-8hrs trek
We will have an early breakfast and rejoin our trail. We ascend to the Yamda La pass; through the trail we traverse few teahouse, chortens and beautiful villages. We descend through a gentle trail following the right trail to Charang and trek through poplar forests and barley fields. We further trek to Nyi Pass from where we descend to a village called Ghami, one of the biggest villages in the Lo region. We continue trekking further to Charang.
- Visit beautiful huge Ghami village
- Visit ancient palace at Charang
- Pass through chortens
- Day 08: Charang to Lo Manthang (3,770m/12,368ft) 4-5hrs trek
We have our breakfast and begin to trek; the trail slight descends to a river, we cross the river and ascend up to a ridge. We reach a wide lush grassy area where you can see herds of yak, goat and blue sheep. We walk further and reach a pass. From pass, you can see beautiful Lho Manthang village as well as heartwarming views of Nilgiri, Damodar Kunda, Saribung peak, Tilicho and Annapurna 1. We take gradual descend from pass all the way to Lo – Manthang, desert-like landscape where we will get to see the walls.
Views of Nilgiri, Damodar Kunda, Saribung peak, Tilicho and Annapurna
- Day 09: Explore Lo Manthang
Today we will be staying back, so we wake up late and have our breakfast. A day excursion to three Gompas of the village named Thupden, Chhoeda and Jhampa and museum will be organized. Another option can be a trek to either Tingkhar village or Chhosar village.
- Views of Nilgiri, Tilicho and Annapurna 1
- Visit Chhoede Gompa along with Chhoede Gompa Monastic School
- Explore Jhampa monastery built around 1387 as well as museum
- Explore Thupchen Gompa. This is the second oldest monastery in Mustang and date as 15thcentury back.
- Explore Tingkhar village or Chhosar (visit cave and picturesque village
- Day 10: Lo Manthang to Drakmar (3,810m/12,500ft) 6-7hrs trek
After having an early breakfast we will start trekking eastwards to a pass from where will cross a ridge leading to a large valley. We then cross two more valleys until we descent through a rocky trail, further we trek over a few ridges through an alpine meadow to Drakmar.
- Observe red crag and colorful cliff in Dhakmar
- Walk through alpine forest
- Day 11: Drakmar to Ghelling (3,806m/12,486ft) 4-5hrs trek
We start trekking early to avoid strong winds. Today we descend for most of the parts of the trail; we descend to Ghami and again to Dama Gaun. The trail traverses through dry plateau and fields, the trek is much more difficult as we will be experiencing the strong wind blowing through the trail. Trekking for few more hours will take us to Ghelling and to our camp. Ghelling is dry and we will be offered with views of Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri. We can either rest or explore the village.
- Superb vistas of Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri
- Explore Tibetan village and lifestyle
- Cross through dry plateau and fields
- Day 12: Ghelling to Chhuksang (3,050m/11,482ft) 5-6hrs trek
We begin to trek after having our breakfast; we trek on the same trail while we were trekking to Lo Manthang, we ascend to Shanbochen. From here we then trek further to Chussang village, through the trail we will be offered with magnificent views of some peaks like Dhaulagiri, Tilicho, Tukuche, and small villages.
- Explore Chhuksang village
- If the weather is clear, you can see Tilicho, Nilgiri, Dhaulagiri and Tukuche peak
- Day 13: Chhuksang to Jomsom (2,800m/9,186ft) 6-7hrs trek
Today is our last trekking day; we will start to trek after having breakfast. Today’s trek will be relatively a longer one. As we trek within a few hours we will leave Upper Mustang’s trail and join Annapurna circuit’s trail until we reach Kagbeni where we will stop for lunch. Trekking further will take us to Jomsom, a well-known town in the region.
- Enjoy the breeze along the trail
- Day 14: Flight from Jomsom to Pokhara and onto Kathmandu
We will have an early breakfast and walk up to the airport near the hotel in Jomsom. After a short flight, we reach Pokhara and take another flight to Kathmandu.
- Spectacular flight to Pokhara and Kathmandu
- Day 15: Leisure day in Kathmandu
After having breakfast at hotel. You have leisure time to take relax or explore around marketplaces to shop the souvenir for loved ones.
- Day 16: Back Home
It is time to fly back to home keeping all the terrifying experiences of Nepal in mind.
The representative from Nepal Sanctuary Treks will transfer you to TIA airport where you should check-in 3 hours prior to your scheduled flight.
Cost & Dates
- Kathmandu Sightseeing Full day tour: US$ 60 (based on min 2 pax)
- Kathmandu Sightseeing Half Day Tour US$ 40 (based on min 2 pax)
- (With transfer, English speaking guide and entrance fees)
- Guaranteed -
- Trek is Guaranteed to run
- Available -
- Trek is available to run in minimum group size is filled
- Limited -
- Only few space available
|Trek Start Date||Trek End Date||Price||Availability||Book|
|07 Apr, 2019||22 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,758||Guaranteed||Book Now|
|10 Mar, 2019||25 Mar, 2019||US$ 1758||Available||Book Now|
|24 Mar, 2019||08 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|17 Mar, 2019||01 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|03 Mar, 2019||18 Mar, 2019||US$ 1758||Available||Book Now|
|14 Apr, 2019||29 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|21 Apr, 2019||29 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|05 May, 2019||20 May, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|12 May, 2019||27 May, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|19 May, 2019||03 Jun, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|06 Oct, 2019||21 Oct, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|13 Oct, 2019||28 Oct, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|03 Nov, 2019||18 Nov, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|10 Nov, 2019||25 Nov, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|17 Nov, 2019||02 Dec, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
Not what you're looking for? Contact Travel SpecialistCustomize this Trip
- Trek through a stark desert landscape with spires and cliffs
- Lying in the rain shadow, a great trek to escape the summer monsoon
- Tibetan Cultures, Monasteries, Food, Lifestyle.
- Airport transfers,
- Private transfer to/from trek point
- Internal flight: Kathmandu-Pokhara-Kathmandu
- Hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast,
- Hotel in Pokhara with breakfast,
- Tea house lodge during the trek with breakfast
- Trek Permits, Annapurna Conservation Fee and Restricted area Fee
- Staff insurance on the trek,
- Trek guide & porter/s
- Duffel bag
What's not Included
- Lunch and Dinner in Kathmandu, Pokhara and on trek (approx. US$ 20 per day)
- Personal equipment,
- Personal bills,
- International airfare
- Excess baggage beyond 15 kilos including day pack Visa fee: US$ 25 for 15 days and US$ 40 for 30 days multiple entry
- Insurance (for cancellation, accident, health, emergency evacuation and loss, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects),
- Liability Insurance
- Optional Kathmandu Sightseeing tour