- Optional Kathmandu sightseeing tour
- Spectacular Scenic flight to and from Jomsom
- Wondrous views of Tilicho Peak, Yakawa Kang , Nilgiri and Damodar Danda
- Prohibited Kingdom of Mustang
- Breathtaking view of Himalayan landscapes.
- Unique Tibetan culture, food and lifestyle
- Tree-less infertile landscape
- Visiting the capital of Mustang “The Lo Manthang”
- Beautiful ancient Monasteries
- Tiji festival which means “Prayer for World Peace” is celebrated in the month of May. It is observed for three-days consisting of Tibetan rituals that celebrate the myth of a son who had to save the Mustang kingdom from destruction.
- Explore lifestyle, culture and tradition of true Himalayan people
- Unique red landscape at Dhakmar
- Walk through juniper and pine trees
- You are likely to see blue sheep, Himalaya goat, yak and vulture.
Upper Mustang trek is a spectacular trek that allows us to experience trekking through remote areas of the mountain region. The trek is a privilege as you will experience the nature and the life of people in the mountain region.
Upper Mustang trek is a hidden paradise north of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri. It is also known as the Last Forbidden Kingdom because before 1992 the region was banned to visit for foreign travelers. Upper Mustang is an amazing trekking destination where visitors explore Buddhists Monasteries, Tibetan and Buddhist culture, unique Himalaya landscape.
Upper Mustang TrekDownload trip Dossier
Note: below trekking hours, altitudes and distances are approximate, and absolutely for the general idea only.
- Day 01: Arrive at Kathmandu airport (1,302m/4,270ft)
Upon arrival at Tribhuwan International airport, our representative will be awaiting you to welcome with Nepal Sanctuary Treks placard. You will be then escorted and transfer to hotel. Further details and short preliminary briefing will be provided after transferring to the hotel. Stay overnight in Hotel.
- Day 02: Optional Kathmandu valley sightseeing and Trek preparation
Kathmandu is the cultural heart of Nepal and has been a famous destination for tourists ever since Nepal opened its borders to visitors. Today after breakfast, we will explore Kathmandu valley, a guided tour will be conducted to major world heritage sites inside the valley. Out city tour expert will take you to Kathmandu Durbar Square, the traditional heart of Kathmandu and an architecturally extraordinary complex of ancient palaces, temples, courtyards and shrines. You are then taken to Swayambhunath (monkey temple) which is the glorious ancient religious architecture and center faith of Hinduism and Buddhism. Further, you will be visiting Buddhist shrine of Boudhanath which is one of the largest stupa in the world and the sacred Pashupatinath temple that lies on the bank of Bagmati River in Kathmandu. After the tour you will have ample of time to prepare for your trek and buy or rent all the required trekking equipment.
· Visit UNESCO Heritage sites i.e. Durbar Square, Swayambhunath, Boudhanath, Pashupatinath
- Day 03: Flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara (895m/2,938ft)
After having an early breakfast our representative will transfer you to airport and will take our flight to Pokhara. After landing at Pokhara you will be transferred to our hotel. You can either rest or explore the beautiful city. Stay overnight in Pokhara.
- Scenic flight to Pokhara
- Explore Pokhara valley
- Day 04: Pokhara to Jomsom (2,800m/9,186ft), trek to Kagbeni (2,810m/9,219ft) 3-4hrs trek
We will have an early breakfast and then be transferred to the airport from where we will take flight to Jomsom. Once we land at Jomsom, we start our trek on an open trail through treeless landscape. There is hardly any rain falls although the weather is cloudy but during winter there is possibility of snow fall. After a short while of trek, we will arrive at Kagbeni.
· Tibetan Culture, picturesque unique settlement and their lifestyle
· Visit Kagbeni monastery
· Entry point to Upper Mustang
· Views of Nilgiri, Tilicho , Dhaulagiri, Tukuche peak along the way.
· Views of Thorong Peak from Kagbeni
- Day 05: Kagbeni to Chele (3,050m/10,006ft) 5-6hrs trek
We have an early breakfast and then get our permits checked; we now are authorized to enter the region. We begin trekking along the Kali Gandaki River, the trail goes up and downhill as through the trail we trek on sand and windy trail before ascending the hill. As we trek we arrive at Tangbe village with narrow alleys from where we trek further to Chuhusang and cross the river. Once we cross the river we trek on a ridge as we will soon reach Chele village.
· Tibetan settlement, explore Tibetan lifestyle their custom
· Observe cave on the way
- Day 06: Chele to Syanbochen (3,475m/11,400ft) 6-7hrs trek
After breakfast we rejoin our trail, the trek from today onwards will level up and be more challenging. As we will be crossing two passes today we begin to trek early, we reach Eklo Batti. From there we trek further and ascend to Taklam La Pass through narrow stretches. Along the trail we will be offered with wondrous views of Tilicho Peak, Yakawa Kang and Damodar Danda. We cross another pass, Dajori La Pass (3,735m/12,253ft) and then descend until we reach Samar village. From this village we go to the ridge then descend steeply to a stream, trekking few more hours will take us to our destination Syanboche where we stay overnight.
· Views of Tilicho Peak, Yakawa Kang and Damodar Danda.
· Visit Chungsri Cave
· Pass through small Samar village
- Day 07: Syanbochen to Charang (3,500m/11,482ft) [via Ghami] 7-8hrs trek
We have an early breakfast and rejoin our trail. We ascend to the Yamda La pass; through the trail we traverse few teahouse, chortens and beautiful villages. We descend through a gentle trail following the right trail to Charang, we trek through poplar forests and barley fields. We further trek to Nyi Pass from where we descend to a village called Ghami, one of the biggest villages in the Lo region. We continue trekking further to Charang.
· Visit beautiful huge Ghami village
· Visit ancient palace at Charang
· Pass through chortens
- Day 08: Charang to Lo Manthang (3,770m/12,368ft) 4-5hrs trek
We have our breakfast and begin to trek; the trail slight descends to a river, we cross the river and ascend up to a ridge. We reach at wide lush grassy area where you can see herds of yak, goat and blue sheep. We walk further and reach at pass. From pass you can see beautiful Lho Manthang village as well as heartwarming views of Nilgiri, Damodar kunda, Saribung peak, Tilicho and Annapurna 1. We take gradual descend from pass all the way to Lo – Manthang, desert-like landscape where we will get to see the walls .
· Views of Nilgiri, Damodar kunda, Saribung peak, Tilicho and Annapurna
- Day 09: Explore Lo Manthang
Today we will be staying back, so we wake up late and have our breakfast. A day excursion to three Gompas of the village named Thupden, Chhoeda and Jhampa and museum will be organized. Another option can be trek to either Tingkhar village or Chhosar village.
· Views of Nilgiri, Tilicho and Annapurna 1
· Visit Thubchen ,Chhoeda and Jhampa monasteries as well as museum
· Explore Tingkhar village or Chhosar (visit cave and picturesque village)
- Day 10: Lo Manthang to Drakmar (3,810m/12,500ft) 6-7hrs trek
After having an early breakfast we will start trekking eastwards to a pass from where will cross a ridge leading to a large valley. We then cross two more valley until we descent through a rocky trail, further we trek over a few ridge through alpine meadow to Drakmar.
· Observe red crag and colorful cliff in Dhakmar
· Walk through alpine forest
- Day 11: Drakmar to Ghelling (3,806m/12,486ft) 4-5hrs trek
We start trekking early to avoid strong winds. Today we descend for most of the parts of the trail; we descend to Ghami and again to Dama Gaun. The trail traverses through dry plateau and fields, the trek be much more difficult as we will be experiencing strong wind blowing through the trail. Trekking for few more hours will take us to Ghelling and to our camp. Ghelling is dry and we will be offered with views of Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri. We can either rest or explore the village.
· Views of Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri
· Explore Tibetan village and lifestyle
· Cross through dry plateau and fields
· Visit monasteries
- Day 12: Ghelling to Chhuksang (3,050m/11,482ft) 5-6hrs trek
We begin to trek after having our breakfast; we trek on the same trail while we were trekking to Lo Manthang, we ascend to Shanbochen. From here we then trek further to Chussang village, through the trail we will be offered with magnificent views of some peaks like Dhaulagiri, Tilicho, Tukuche and small villages.
- Explore Chhuksang village
- If the weather is clear, you can see Tilicho, Nilgiri, Dhaulagiri and Tukuche peak
- Day 13: Chhuksang to Jomsom (2,800m/9,186ft) 6-7hrs trek
Today is our last trekking day; we will start to trek after having breakfast. Today’s trek will be relatively a longer one. As we trek within few hours we will leave Upper Mustang’s trail and join Annapurna circuit’s trail until we reach Kagbeni where we will stop for lunch. Trekking further will take us to Jomsom, a well-known town of the region.
- Enjoy the breeze along the trail
- Day 14: Flight from Jomsom to Pokhara and onto Kathmandu
We will have an early breakfast and walk up to the airport nearby the hotel in Jomsom. After a short flight we reach Pokhara and take another flight to Kathmandu.
- Spectacular flight to Pokhara and Kathmandu
- Day 15: Leisure day in Kathmandu
After having breakfast at hotel. You have leisure time to take relax or explore around marketplaces to shop the souvenir for loved ones.
- Day 16: Back Home
It is time to fly back to home keeping all the terrifying experiences of Nepal in mind.
The representative from Nepal Sanctuary Treks will transfer you to TIA airport where you should check-in 3 hours prior your scheduled flight.
Cost & Dates
- Guaranteed -
- Trek is Guaranteed to run
- Available -
- Trek is available to run in minimum group size is filled
- Limited -
- Only few space available
|Trek Start Date||Trek End Date||Price||Availability||Book|
|07 Apr, 2019||22 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,758||Guaranteed||Book Now|
|10 Mar, 2019||25 Mar, 2019||US$ 1758||Available||Book Now|
|24 Mar, 2019||08 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|17 Mar, 2019||01 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|03 Mar, 2019||18 Mar, 2019||US$ 1758||Available||Book Now|
|14 Apr, 2019||29 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|21 Apr, 2019||29 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|05 May, 2019||20 May, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|12 May, 2019||27 May, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|19 May, 2019||03 Jun, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|06 Oct, 2019||21 Oct, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|13 Oct, 2019||28 Oct, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|03 Nov, 2019||18 Nov, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|10 Nov, 2019||25 Nov, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
|17 Nov, 2019||02 Dec, 2019||US$ 1,758||Available||Book Now|
Not what you're looking for? Contact Travel SpecialistCustomize this Trip
- Trek through a stark desert landscape with spires and cliffs
- Lying in the rain shadow, a great trek to escape the summer monsoon
- Tibetan Cultures, Monasteries, Food, Lifestyle.
- Airport transfers,
- Private transfer to/from trek point
- Internal flight: Kathmandu-Pokhara-Kathmandu
- Hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast,
- Hotel in Pokhara with breakfast,
- Tea house lodge during trek with breakfast
- Trek Permits, Annapurna Conservation Fee and Restricted area Fee
- Staff insurance on the trek,
- Trek guide & porter/s
- Duffel bag
What's not Included
- Lunch and Dinner in Kathmandu, Pokhara and on trek (approx. US$ 20 per day)
- Personal equipment,
- Personal bills,
- International airfare
- Excess baggage beyond 15 kilo including day pack Visa fee: US$ 25 for 15 days and US$ 40 for 30 days multiple entry
- Insurance (for cancellation, accident, health, emergency evacuation and loss, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects),
- Liability Insurance
- Optional Kathmandu Sightseeing tour
Kathmandu Sightseeing Full day tour: US$ 60 (based on min 2 pax)
Kathmandu Sightseeing Half Day Tour US$ 40 (based on min 2 pax)
(With transfer, English speaking guide and entrance fees)