- Trek up to the captivating bewildered site of Khopra Ridge (3,660m/12,007ft) where a pure magnificence panoramic view of numerous snowy Himalayan mountain range awaits you; like Mt. Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, Mt. Annapurna I, Annapurna South, Machhapuchhre, and other.
- Trekking to Khopra Ridge features a spectacular view of the sunrise over the silver mountains that transformed their colors from ivory to gold.
- The trail embark on blanketed forest of oak , pine trees with vibrant and fragrant rhododendron and plenty of other wildflowers in blossom, including the carnivorous Cobra Lily and Primrose which is even more beautiful in Spring.
- The trail passes through lovely villages of diverse ethno-culture like Gurung, Magar, Chhetri, and Brahmin communities, which allow trekkers to witness and experience the authentic Nepali culture and lifestyle.
- This is the domain of numerous exotic species of wildlife comprising deer, Pine Marten, red fox, Bulbul, eagle, Himalayan Tahr (mountain goat), langur monkeys, Babbler and Pheasant
- Visit tranquil and sacred Khayar Lake (4,700 m) accompanied by beautiful scenic environment along with superb mountain views and glacier. In the month of August, the religious festival takes place where hundreds of pilgrims pay visit for a dip in the icy pond to purify the sin of hundred lifetimes.
- Observing beautiful flowering forests along the trail during spring season against the backdrop of the majestic Himalaya.
Khopra Ridge Trek is one of the best off the beaten trekking trails which covers hidden treasures of Annapurna region.
The trek features all of the elements of classic trekking trails where you can experience the wildlife, great mixture of culture, rustic villages, and landscapes of elevated alpine, panoramic mountain views and bright color of rice fields layered on top of each other plunging down into the valley.
Trek up to Khopra ridge is rewarding as views are magnificent. And seeing the white peaks flaring up in the morning sunlight is magical. It is a marvelous sight being surrounded by the white peaks of the several peaks.
This lesser-trodden short trek is perfect for families with children as the trails are easy to walk on. The trek offers your children to be familiar with the delights of trekking, admiring the beauty of nature and opportunity to learn about authentic local culture and lifestyle.
Kopra Ridge TrekDownload Trip Dossier
Note: below trekking hours, altitudes and distances are approximate, and absolutely for the general idea only
- Day 01: Arrive at Kathmandu airport (1,302m/4,270ft)
Upon arrival at Tribhuwan International airport, our representative will be awaiting you to welcome with Nepal Sanctuary Treks placard. You will be then escorted and transfer to hotel. Further details and short preliminary briefing will be provided after transferring to the hotel. Stay overnight in Hotel.
- Arrival at charming and exotic city engrossed with ancient temples and tradition. Fused with lively markets and the bustle of spice sellers and merchants.
- Day 02: Kathmandu valley sightseeing and Trek preparation
Kathmandu is the cultural heart of Nepal and popularly known as “City of temples”. After having hearty breakfast, we will explore vibrant and culturally rich Kathmandu valley. A guided cultural tour will be conducted inside the valley.
We will start off visiting Kathmandu Durbar Square, the traditional heart of Kathmandu and an architecturally extraordinary complex of ancient palaces, temples, courtyards, and shrines. You are then taken to Swayambhunath (monkey temple) which is the magnificent ancient religious architecture and center faith of Hinduism and Buddhism. Its lofty white dome and dazzling golden spire are visible from far and wide. Upon arriving at the top, you can hear the Buddhist songs “om mani paddle hum” resound everywhere. The candles and aromatic fragrance of incense that burn constantly create a serene vibe, and we can turn the enormous prayer wheels which encircle the stupa.
Next, is Buddhist shrine of Boudhanath, one of the largest stupas in the world as well as the sacred Buddhist sites in Kathmandu. You will observe the monk chant in the prayer hall while people lighting butter lamps and reciting mantras.
Further, we visit Pashupatinath temple, a Hindu shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva located on the bank of Bagmati River. You can see elaborately dressed holy men meditating outside the temple and pilgrims placing offerings at the shrines. You can also observe people performing religious ritual and funeral pyres burn at open-air cremation.
After visiting fascinating cultural heritage sites, you will transfer back to the Hotel. The evening can either be spent strolling the marketplaces in Kathmandu or resting at the hotel.
Visit Heritage sites i.e. Durbar Square, Swayambhunath, Boudhanath, Pashupatinath
- Day 03: Kathmandu– Pokhara (895m/2,938ft) 25 mins flight – Nayapul (1,074m/3,525ft) 1hr drive – Birethati (1,025m/3,362ft) 30 mins hike
We fly to Pokhara early in the morning. We can catch stunning views of the Himalayas from the right side of our airplane. Upon our arrival in Pokhara, the beautiful lake city, we are rewarded with superb views of the Himalayas including Dhaulagiri, Manaslu, Machhapuchhre, the five peaks of Annapurna and others.
On arrival, we will drive for about an hour along the Seti River valley from Pokhara to the trek start point Nayapul. We will meet our accompanying trekking crew in Nayapul and after a short briefing about the trek, we will leave for Birethati (1,025m/3,362ft) down the hill from Nayapul. Birethanti is a small village lies at the foot of the Modi Khola Valley at around 1,025 meters. The village was one of the main stops on the Annapurna Circuit treks.
- Wander around the mixed settlement of Birethati village where you will get to see the lives of the local people.
- You might see the mule trains being driven from here up the valley, transporting goods to less well-connected villages.
- Spectacular flight to Pokhara where you can see the majestic views of Himalayas.
- Day 04: Birethati – Ghandruk village (1,970m/6,463ft) 4 – 5hrs hike
After an early breakfast, we start to ascend uphill to Ghandruk. The trail to Ghandruk is dominated by rhododendron and oak forest. After 3 hrs hike, we reach Kimche (1,554m/5,098ft) for lunch. Then we continue to climb further higher until we will reach unusual oval-shaped houses and stoned streets of the people following Gurung ethnicity. Ghandruk is a charming village of the largest Gurung Settlement. We get to experience the Gurung culture, tradition, and lifestyle.
Magnificent views of the Annapurna south, Hiunchuli and Machhapuchhre mountain peaks can be revealed from here. You can also have a visit to the Gurung Museum here as well.
- Superb views of Annapurna, Annapurna South, Himchuli and Machhapuchhre Himal from Ghandruk village
- Explore beautiful Gurung village where you witness the number of slate roof houses, paved courtyard.
- You will get the opportunity to experience local culture and learn the traditional lifestyle of Gurung communities.
- Day 05: Ghandruk – Tadapani (2,590m/8,497ft) 4-5 hrs hike
We rise up early where you get to enjoy marvelous sunrise view over a massive mountain of Machhapuchhre (Fishtail), Annapurna South, and Hiunchuli. After breakfast, we continue upwards through Bheri Kharka and stop for lunch.
Further, we continue to trek into the dense rhododendron forests. If you are trekking during spring season then the entire forest is dazzle with colorful rhododendron flowers. After trekking over a small pass, listening to the melodious sound of birds and enjoying the view of small waterfalls and mountains like the Annapurna range, Machhapuchhre (6993m), and Hiunchuli (6441m) we arrive in Tadapani. Overnight in Tadapani.
- Enjoy the excellent views of Annapurna, Annapurna South, Himchuli, and Machhapuchhre Himal from Tandapani.
- The trekking trail is pleasant and you will get the sights of the natural serene.
- The blossoming of the rhododendron flowers looks vibrant in the springtime and the trekking trail is decorated with the flower’s luminous canopy.
- You are likely to encounter with troops of langur monkeys
- Day 06: Tadapani – Bayeli Kharka (3,420m/11,220ft) 6-7 hours hike
Today we leave Tadapani as well as the main trail and for the next five days, we will walk in more unexplored villages of the Annapurna region. Today is a lovely trek through rhododendron and oak forest following a trail originally used by villagers from Ghandruk. During the spring when the rhododendrons are in bloom this part of the trek is particularly vibrant.
The trail starts to ascend above the tree line and follows a ridge to Deurali (small pass) and then continues up to Bayeli Kharka where we will stay overnight in the first community lodge. A clear view of Mt. Dhaulagiri can be seen from the lodge.
- Along the trail, you might encounter with musk deer, pheasant, and red fox
- You can see the view of Mt. Dhaulagiri range (8,167m), the seventh highest mountain in the world.
- Day 07: Bayeli Kharka – Upper Chistibung (2,975m/9,760ft) 4hrs trek
Today’s trekking route is on a grassy slope and passes through numerous herders’ huts and Dzo (cross between Yak and cow) grazing in the fields. Along the trail you might spot beautiful Daphe pheasant, the national bird of Nepal as well the Himalayan Tahr high above the trail. Once we arrive Upper Chistibung we will rest and stay overnight at community lodge.
- Along the line, you can have a look at many herders’ huts and encounter with animals that are a crossbreed between cows and yaks (Dzos). They tend to graze tranquility along with a grassy ridge.
- Observe intriguing Danphe pheasants, the national bird of Nepal, on the verdant ridges high above the trail.
- You may also have a glimpse of Himalayan Thars along the trail.
- Day 08: Upper Chistibung – Kopra Ridge (3,660m/12,007ft) 3 – 4hrs trek
Today we leave Upper Chistibung behind and trek toward Khopra Ridge. We start a steady ascent above the tree line through alpine meadows. As we approach to Kopra ridge we will see the tip of Annapurna south. Once we reach at Kopra Ridge the full panorama of Mt. Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri, Fang and Annapurna south can be seen.
After lunch, it is worth taking short walk down Kopra Ridge to a vantage point overlooking Kali Gandaki river far below in this deep valley we can go for a short walk around the ridge for better views.
You might see musk deer, ghoral and pheasant
Admire the stunning panorama Mountain View elegantly revealed. From Khopra ridge
Glimpse of the deepest valley and Kali Gandaki gorge that adds marvels to your walk
- Day 09: Day hike from Kopra Ridge
Today we will stay back in Kopra Ridge so a day hike to nearby destination will be organized. The best option for a day hike would be towards Kaire Lake, from there the view of Fang and surrounding mountains looks amazing. Khaire Lake is considered to be a holy lake by the Hindus, it is believed that bathing in the lake will help achieve Nirvana.
Trek to Khaire Lake takes 11 hours going forth to the lake and returning back. For the one who will not be able to hike all the way up to the Lake can join another half day hike. We all will return back to the lodge at Kopra Ridge for overnight.
- Visit the sapphire Kaire Lake where vistas of the Fang Mountain and surrounding peaks look splendid.
- Spectacular views of Mt. Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri, Fang and Annapurna south
- Day 10: Kopra Ridge – Swanta Village (2,200m/7,217ft) 5hrs hike
Leaving Khopra ridge behind, today we trek to Swanta village. The trail takes an hour of descending until we get to Upper Chistibung where we can enjoy drinks and take rest.
Continuing our trek, we descend further downwards to Swanta Village. Along the trail, we get more magnificent views of Mt. Dhaulagiri providing a lovely backdrop to the terraced fields and picturesque houses in the nearby villages.
Once you reach at the Swanta village, you can have a visit at the Swanta primary school where there are two teachers funded by the profits from the community lodges
- Along the trail, the sight of Mount Dhaulagiri offers a tranquil ambiance to the trekking trail and the Himalayan backdrop is wonderful to look at.
- The terraced fields of maize, potato, buckwheat and traditional houses give the landscape as an exquisite picturesque sublimity. ·
- Visit Swanta Primary School
- Swanta village is the settlement of Magar ethic groups
- Day 11: Swanta Village – Ulleri (1,309m/4,296ft) 6-7 hours hike
Today we descend to Ulleri, walking down for an hour we will join the main trail to Ghorepani from where we walk downhill through rhododendron forest to Ulleri where we stay in a teahouse for the night. Ulleri is a famous village as many trekkers pass through the village during their trek in the Annapurna region.
- Experience Magar culture and lifestyle
- Views of Machhapuchre, Annapurna and Annapurna south along the trail
- Day 12: Ulleri– Nayapul –Pokhara, approx. 4hrs trek
After having hearty breakfast, we join the trail that descend downhill all the way to Birethati and back to Nayapul from where our trek started. As a vehicle will be waiting for us in Nayapul, we will return to Pokhara, the beautiful lake city.
Once you reach at Pokhara we are are greeted with majestic views of the Himalayas including Dhaulagiri (8,167m), Manaslu (8,156m), Machhapuchhre (6,993m), the five peaks of Annapurna and others.
We check-in to our hotel and take a rest. We may also walk in the streets of Pokhara and just enjoy being in one of the stunning cities of Nepal. Overnight in Pokhara.
- Scenic drive to Pokhara passing picturesque villages and observe people working in fields.
- Take relish in superb views of snowcapped mountain in Pokhara.
- Day 13: Flight from Pokhara to Kathmandu
After breakfast, we take a flight back to Kathmandu. Upon arrival, our representative will transfer you to hotel. You can spend the day rest or catch up on some last minute shopping or shop for some locally made handicrafts and souvenirs. Stay overnight in Hotel.
- Stroll the streets of Kathmandu, which provides a captivating mosaic of shops, cafes and restaurants, food markets and avenue vendors and bewildering collection of colorful temples and shrine
- Day 14: Back home
It is time to fly back to home keeping all the terrifying experiences of Nepal in mind.The representative from Nepal Sanctuary Treks will transfer you to TIA airport where you should check-in 3 hours prior your scheduled flight.
Cost & Dates
- Guaranteed -
- Trek is Guaranteed to run
- Available -
- Trek is available to run in minimum group size is filled
- Limited -
- Only few space available
|Trek Start Date||Trek End Date||Price||Availability||Book|
|03 Mar, 2019||16 Mar, 2019||US$ 913||Available||Book Now|
|17 Mar, 2019||23 Mar, 2019||US$ 913||Available||Book Now|
|07 Apr, 2019||20 Apr, 2019||US$ 913||Available||Book Now|
|21 Apr, 2019||04 May, 2019||US$ 913||Available||Book Now|
|05 May, 2019||18 May, 2019||US$ 913||Available||Book Now|
|12 May, 2019||25 May, 2019||US$ 913||Available||Book Now|
|06 Oct, 2019||19 Oct, 2019||US$ 913||Available||Book Now|
|13 Oct, 2019||26 Oct, 2019||US$ 913||Available||Book Now|
|20 Oct, 2019||02 Nov, 2019||US$ 913||Available||Book Now|
|03 Nov, 2019||16 Nov, 2019||US$ 913||Available||Book Now|
|10 Nov, 2019||16 Nov, 2019||US$ 913||Available||Book Now|
|17 Nov, 2019||30 Nov, 2019||US$ 913||Available||Book Now|
Not what you're looking for? Contact Travel SpecialistCustomize this Trip
- Max altitude : (3,660m/12,007ft)
- Trek Destination : Kopra Ridge
- Suitably designed itinerary for acclimatization
- Accommodation in the best selected lodges and tea houses along the trail and in Kathmandu
- Impressive views of Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, Barha Shikhar, Annapurna Range, Hiunchuli, Fishtail and many more mountains.
- Traditional villages inhabited by Gurung, Thakali, Tamang etc
- Fauna found in the region- pika, blue sheep and Himalayan Tahr.
- Airport transfers,
- Private transfer to/from trek
- Internal flight Kathmandu-Pokhara-Kathmandu
- 3 nights accommodation at ***Hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast,
- 1 night accommodation *** Hotel in Pokhara with breakfast,
- 10 days Tea house lodge with breakfast
- Trek Permits & National Park Fee,
- Staff insurance on the trek,
- Trek guide & porter/s
- Duffel bag
What's not Included
- Lunch and Dinner in Kathmandu, Pokhara (approx. US$ 20 per day)
- Personal equipment,
- Personal bills,
- International airfare
- Excess baggage beyond 15 kilo including day pack Visa fee: US$ 25 for 15 days and US$ 40 for 30 days multiple entry
- Insurance (for cancellation, accident, health, emergency evacuation and loss, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects), Liability Insurance
- Optional Kathmandu Sightseeing tour
Kathmandu Sightseeing Full day tour: US$ 60 (based on min 2 pax)
Kathmandu Sightseeing Half Day Tour US$ 40 (based on min 2 pax)
(With transfer, English speaking guide and entrance fees)
Most Common FAQs
- 1 . Why choose Kopra Ridge trek?
Kopra Ridge trek is newly discovered short trekking route in the Annapurna region; it is an alternative for Ghorepaani Poonhill trek. Although Kopra Ridge is in the heart of Annapurna region yet it remains rural and unknown for trekkers. The trek includes experiencing traditional village culture, wildlife, panoramic mountain views and rage of landscape from forest to high alpine, it is a classic trek. The trek passes through a different trail away from the crowded Annapurna trail.
- 2 . How fit do I need to be for this trek?
You will be walking for minimum of 5 – 7hrs a day, you don’t have to really fit but minimum level of fitness is required as the trek is not an easy one. You do have to be healthy and mentally prepared for trekking in this region although it doesn’t require mountaineering skills.
- 3 . What is the best time of the year for this trek?
The trek is possible throughout the year. However, autumn and spring are the best seasons; choose to trek in autumn (Sep-Nov) as spring is busy with expedition stuff.
- 4 . Why should I trek with Nepal Sanctuary Treks (NST)?
We (NST) believe in socially and environmentally responsible, sustainable tourism. Our personalized services are guided by these principles and our 27 yrs of experience in the field of trekking is invaluable in giving our clients quality service. Our itineraries are suitably designed for acclimatization and we use the best selected lodges through the trail and in Kathmandu.
- 5 . Can children trek in this region or are there any age restrictions?
Yes, children can trek as there is no age restrictions. Nepal Sanctuary Trek can design suitable trekking itinerary for all age group above 8yrs. However, for children fewer than 8 can have high time trekking for longer period of time and altitude sickness can be a problem.
- 6 . What to take for the trek (clothes, personal kits)?
To make it easier for you Nepal Sanctuary Treks have prepared you a kit check list, you can have a look at it below:
- 7 . Do I need travel insurance covered while trekking/traveling in Nepal?
Insurance is a compulsion as anything can happen in the trek; for emergency rescue, personal liabilities, cancellation, loss of luggage and other reasons if necessary.
- 8 . How much weight do I have to carry or how much will my porter carry?
You can bring as much as clothes you want but extra luggage is not required for the trek, you can leave your extra luggage in Kathmandu or Pokhara’s hotel. For the trek you can carry enough clothes you require in your backpack or carry only the camera, water bottle few clothes etc in your backpack. The potter can carry your extra duffle bag clothes which can weigh up to 15 to 30kg and a camping porter carries up to 30kg. However, the local domestic flights allows maximum of 18kg per person.
- 9 . What medical facilities are there on Kopra Ridge trek?
In case of emergency you need to get evacuated by helicopter to Kathmandu, you need to take proper care of your health. Anyways, you will find small clinics along the trek. However, you need to bring your medicine (if any) and a first aid box will be provided by Nepal Sanctuary Treks, also your guide will be trained for first aid in case of emergency.
For further enquiries you can contact Nepal Sanctuary Treks at: