It is the high altitude, long distances, climate, remoteness and logistical organization that makes this trek so challenging. It is for these reasons that makes the Lunana region of Bhutan one of the least visited areas of the world. This is a 28 day trek through high alpine country crossing the north of Bhutan near the border with Tibet. It covers a distance of 356 kilometres, crosses over eight high mountain passes, several of which are over 5,000 meters, and stays at an average altitude of 4,000 meters. We will see many un-named and un-mapped peaks up to 7,000m. This is a difficult trek but is a suitable objective for fit hill walkers. Flexibility and patience will be required at times!
Trip Code NSTR266
- Day 01: Fly to Paro (2,280m), afternoon sightseeing.
Fly by Druk Air to Paro. The flight has superb views of the Himalayas. On arrival we meet our Bhutanese guide and driven back to the hotel in Paro. In the afternoon we will explore Paro town, change money at the bank and then visit Paro Dzong and the National museum.
- Day 02: Morning walk to Taktsang monastery (Tiger’s Nest)
After breakfast we walk up to the Taktsang monastery know as the “Tiger’s Nest”. It takes about 2 to 3 hours to walk through pine forest and up to the monastery perched on a cliff overlooking the valley.
- Day 03: Trek to Shana (2,790m)- 5 hours walking.
- Day 04: Trek to Soi Thangthanka (3,510m)- 6 to 7 hours walking.
- Day 05: Trek to Jangothang (4,080m)- 5 to 6 hours walking.
- Day 06: Acclimatisation day at Jangothang (4,080m).
- Day 07: Trek to Lingshi (4,150m) crossing Nyile La (4,890m)- 6 hours walking.
- Day 08: Trek to Chebisa (3,850m)- 4 hours walking.
- Day 09: Trek to Shomuthang (3,950m) crossing Gombu La (4,400m)- 5 to 6 hours walking.
- Day 10: Trek to Robulathang (4,410m) crossing Jhare La (4,780m)- 7 hours walking.
- Day 11: Trek to Limithang (4,160m) crossing the Shinge La (5,000m).
- Day 12: Trek to Laya (3,700m)- 4 to 5 hours walking.
- Day 13: Rest day.
- Day 14: Trek to Rodophu (4,120m)- 6 to 7 hours walking.
- Day 15: Trek to Narethang (4,900m) crossing Tsema La (4,905m)- 6 hours walking.
- Day 16: Trek to Tarina (5,080m) crossing the Karchung la (5,240m)- 7 to 8 hours walking.
- Day 17: Trek to Woche (3,810m).
- Day 18: Trek to Lhedi (3,700m) crossing Keshe La (4,435m)- 6 to 7 hours walking.
- Day 19: Trek to Thanza (3,970m).
- Day 20: Rest day.
- Day 21: Trek to before Danje (4,540m)- 4 hours walking.
- Day 22: Trek to Tshorim lake camp (5,250m)- 6 hours walking.
- Day 23: Trek over Gophu la (5,240m) and to Geche Woma (4,450m)- 6 hours walking.
- Day 24: Trek to Mischugang (4,200m) at base of Phorang La- 4 hours walking.
- Day 25: Trek to Worithang (4,400m) crossing Phorang La (4,650m) and Saga La (4,820m)- 6 hours walking.
- Day 26: Trek to Dur Tsachu (3,200m) crossing Nephu La (4,560m)- 4 hours walking.
- Day 27: Trek to Tso Chenchen (3,850m) crossing Gongto La (4,327m) and Djule La (4,551m)- 7 to 8 hours walking.
- Day 28: Trek to Gorsum (2,680m)- 5 to 6 hours walking.
- Day 29: Contingency day or extra rest day.
- Day 30: Trek to Minchugang then drive to Bumthang- 3 hours walking and 40 minutes driving.
- Day 31: Drive to Wangdiphodrang- 8 hours driving.
- Day 32: Drive to Thimphu- 4 hours driving.
- Day 33: Sightseeing in Thimphu.
- Day 34: Transfer to airport and fly back Kathmandu/Dhaka/Bangkok/Calcutta.