This is an adventure trip for travelers commencing with the breathtaking trans-Himalayan flight from Kathmandu toLhasa – a historical Buddhist city with a unique culture and architecture and an overland route from Lhasa to Mt. Kailash and finally to the Nepal border. This trip offers truly spectacular views of the Himalayas, high mountain passes, ancient monasteries, fortresses and a people and culture from a bygone era.
Trip Code NSTR261
- Day 01: 0700 AM Drive to airport and fly at 1025 AM to Lhasa (3650m/11,680'). Transfer to Hotel. Rest of day at leisure.
- Day 02: AM: Sightseeing to Jokhang Temple and Bharkhor market PM: Sera Monastry.
- Day 03: AM: Sightseeing to Potala palace. PM: Sightseeing to Drepung Monastery and Ramoche.
- Day 04: AM Sightseeing to Norbulingka, Nechung and Tibetan Medical Centre.
- Day 05: AM after breakfast, drive to Gyantse (3950m/12,640') about 320 Kms/192mi. Appx. 9 hours drive. Overnight at Wutse Hotel or similar. Visit Kumbum stupa & Pelkor Chode Monastery.
- Day 06: Drive to Shigatse(3900m/12,480') about 90 Kms/54mi. appx 3-4 hrs. Visit Tashilhunpo Monastery & Shigatse Market.
- Day 07: Drive to Lhatze (4500m/17,280') about 195 Kms/117mi. Appx 4 hrs. Overnight at a guest house.
- Day 08: Drive to Saga (4280m/13,696') about 193 Kms/116mi. appx 7-8 hrs. Overnight at tented Camp. Kitchen crew from Kathmandu will join you for the overnight.
- Day 09: Drive to Paryang (4750m/15'200') about 250 Kms/150mi. 7 - 8 hrs.
Drive to Paryang (4750m/15’200′) about 250 Kms/150mi. 7 – 8 hrs. The road follows south of the Pelgu Tso, continues across the plain with stunning Himalayan views. The route then follows a narrow gorge before climbing to a pass anddropping steeply down to a ferry crossing over the Yarlung Tsangpo Camping is 15 minutes away from Paryang.
- Day 10: Drive to new Parmarth Guesthouse in Manasarovar (4560m/14,592') about 260 kms/156mi.
Drive to new Parmarth Guesthouse in Manasarovar (4560m/14,592′) about 260 kms/156mi. appx 10 hrs. There will be several river crossings and we drive past Mayum la pass (4600m/14,720′). The scenery is stunningly beautiful with panoramicviews of the Himalayas. Overnight at camp nearby Chiu Gompa.
- Day 11: Rest day to acclimatize, take holy dip and go for kora of Mansarovar by a vehicle. Overnight at tented camp nearby Chiu Gompa or Ashramm Guesthouse.
- Day 12: Drive to Darchen (4560m/) about 30 Kms/18mi, 2 hours.
Drive to Darchen (4560m/) about 30 Kms/18mi, 2 hours. Visit the market around. You may go for a short hike around. Overnight at Guest House. Guide will prepare permits etc..
- Day 13: Drive to Tarboche (about 20 kms/12mi, one hour drive.
Drive to Tarboche (about 20 kms/12mi, one hour drive. Prepare yaks and yakmen and commence the KORA Trek to Dira Puk. (4909m/15,709′) about 20 kms/12mi. About 5 hours. Tented Camp
- Day 14: KORA Trek over Drolma La (5490 m/17,568'), Gauri Kund Lake
KORA Trek over Drolma La (5490 m/17,568′), Gauri Kund Lake, where Hindus worship and immerse themselves in the icy waters of the lake and trek on to Lham Chu Valley about 18 kms/10mi 7-8 hrs. Overnight at tented camp at Zultrulphuk near monastery.
- Day 15: KORA Trek from Zutrulphuk (4790m/15'328') to 11 kms/6.60mi before Darchen, and drive on to the Lake Mansarovar.
KORA Trek from Zutrulphuk (4790m/15’328′) to 11 kms/6.60mi before Darchen, and drive on to the Lake Mansarovar. The final end of the kora (parikarma) is easy 2 – 3 hrs walk down to where the river emerges on to the Barga plain, We complete the 3 day circuit trek of Mt Kailash and drive for two hours about 40 Kms/24mi to Horchhu. Overnight at tented camp.
- Day 16: Drive to Paryang(4750m/15,200'). Overnight at tented camp.
- Day 17: Drive to Saga (4280m/13,696') 110 Kms/66mi. appx 6-7 hrs. Overnight at tented camp
- Day 18: Drive to Nyalam (3800m/12,160') 221 Kms/133mi. appx 7-8 hrs. Overnight at Lodge/camp.
- Day 19: Drive across Friendship Bridge, lunch at Kodari and then on to Kathmandu (1400m/4,400') 165 Kms/99mi, 7-8 Hrs.