- Spectacular mountain scenery through charming villages inhabited by the Gurungs and Magars
- Dense rhododendron forests full of birds and deep sub-tropical valleys
- Panorama mountain views of Annapurna, ranges of Dhaulagiri, Lamjung, Fishtail, Gangapurna and diversity landscapes of surrounding valley
- Stunning sunrise view from Poonhill
A combination of the most beautiful and popular peaks; Poon Hill peak (3,210 m/10,531 ft) and the Muldai Peak (3637 m/11,932 ft) is a perfect exploration trek that offers you the best possible opportunity to get to know and love the uniquely vibrant local culture, the plentiful flora and fauna of the Annapurna region and ever-increasing magic in the build-up of mountain views.
Poonhill/Mulde Peak TrekDownload Trip Dossier
- Day 01: Arrive at Kathmandu airport (1,302m/4,270ft)
You will be received and escorted to the hotel by our staff, refresh yourself and take some rest or explore the area around your hotel. Overnight at Hotel.
- Day 02: Kathmandu valley sightseeing and Trek preparation
Kathmandu is the cultural heart of Nepal and has been a famous destination for tourists ever since Nepal opened its borders to visitors. Today after breakfast we will explore Kathmandu valley, a guided tour will be conducted to major world heritage sites inside the valley. As Kathmandu valley is a beautiful combination of Hinduism and Buddhism we will visit historical sites like; Durbar Squares, Pashupatinath, Swayambhunath (monkey temple) and Buddhist shrine of Bouddhanath which is one of the largest stupa in the world. After the tour you will prepare yourself for the trek, will be briefed about the trek; buy all the trekking equipments required and overnight at hotel.
Visit UNESCO Heritage sites
- Day 03: Kathmandu – Pokhara (895m/2,938ft) – Nayapul 1 ½ hours drive (1,074m/3,525ft) - Ulleri (1,309m/4,296ft) 4 hrs trek
You will be transferred to the airport and will take our flight to Pokhara, from Pokhara we will drive to Nayapul from where our trek will start. We will meet our accompanying trekking crew there and after a short briefing about the trek we will leave for Birethati (1,025m/3,362ft) down the hill from Nayapul. We will walk ascending uphill to Hille and continuing the trek while we pass more villages like Tikhedhunga and we continue a path having 3200 steep stone steps will lead to getting our first view of Annapurna south and finally reach Ulleri by evening, where we will be accommodating in a lodge overnight.
- Enjoy spectacular flight to Pokhara where you can see Himalayan vista
- Pass through picturesque village and cultivated fields
- Day 04: Ulleri – Ghorepani (2,750m/9,022ft) 5hrs trek
After breakfast we continue our trek to our next destination Ghorepani. It is believed that the village was named Ghorepani as in the past it used to be rest place for merchants where they found water for their horses, from where the name became ‘Ghora’ horse and ‘pani’ water. This part of the trek is the challenging one; the trail is uneven as it leads hills to hill making the trekkers trek down hills and up hills too. We climb to the ghorepani through stone stairs. As we take ascend you can see beautiful scenery of Annapurna South. We walk through forest filled with trees often in bloom and bamboo plants. Trekking higher passing through Banthanti and Nagathanti (2,520m/8267ft) we will reach Ghorepani approximately within couple of hours. We will rest at Ghorepani and prepare ourselves for next day’s Poonhill trek.
- Walk through rhododendron and bamboo forests
- Pass picturesque villages and several tea houses
- Explore Magar settlement
- Ghorepani village presents panoramic backdrops of the surrounding mountains like Annapurna South and Nilgiri mountains.
- Explore Ghorepani village and shop local products such as handbags and crafts
- Day 05: Ghorepani- Poonhill & Trek to Dobato (3,426m/11,240 ft)- 6 to 7 hours walking.
Rising early, a pre-dawn hike or after breakfast (45 mins) has us on Poon Hill in time for sunrise over Dhaulagiri and the Annapurna Range. Returning to our tea-house for breakfast, we then rejoin the trail that wends its way north along the ridge line with magnificent views of the Annapurnas stretching out from east to west. Following a forested ridge for a while, with views to both sides. After lunch trail starts to ascend above the tree line and follows a ridge to Muldai hill and then descent to our lodge at Dobato. From the lodge the view to west is dominated by Mount Dhaulagiri at 8,167m is the seventh highest mountain in the world. Overnight at Teahouse.
- Enjoy close up vistas of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges.
- Splendid views of sunrise from Poonhill
- Walk through dense forest of rhododendron trees
- Day 06: Dobato- Ghandruk (1,970m/64363 ft)- 5 to 6 hours walk
Dobato- Ghandruk (1,970m/6,463 ft) – 5 to 6 hours walk
We make pre breakfast hike to Muldai view point for 30 minutes situated at the altitude of 3637 m/11,932 ft. It’s truly glorious and stand at 3637 m/11,932 ft offers eyes level 360 degree magnificent panorama mountains views of Annapurna, ranges of Dhaulagiri, Lamjung, Fishtail, Gangapurna and diversity landscapes of surrounding valley. After breakfast we take descend to a stream and climb again through forest to a ridge with a teashop. Easy walking past unusually oval-shaped homes and you come to the flag- stone-lined streets of the Gurung settlement of the Ghandruk, the largest Gurung settlement in the area.
- Explore Gurung Village and their culture
- Enjoy mountains views of Annapurna, ranges of Dhaulagiri, Lamjung, Fishtail, Gangapurna and diversity landscapes of surrounding valley
- Walk through beautiful forests
- Day 07: Ghandruk– Nayapul –Pokhara, approx 4hrs trek
After breakfast, we join the trail that descends downhill all the way to Birethati and back to Nayapul from where our trek started. As a vehicle will be waiting for us, we will return to Pokhara and stay overnight in Pokhara.
- Scenic drive to Pokhara
- Explore Pokhara valley
- Day 08: Fly back to Kathmandu
After breakfast, you will transfer to airport and fly back to Kathmandu. Upon arrival our representative will receive and transfer to Hotel. You have a leisure time to take rest or shopping souvenir for your beloved ones. Stay overnight in hotel.
- Scenic flight to Kathmandu
- Day 09: Back home
You will be assisted by our staff in a vehicle and transferred to TIA airport in Kathmandu from where you will take your flight back home.
- Amongst the most popular trek in Annapurna region
- Suitably designed itinerary for acclimatization
- Accommodation in the best-selected lodges and tea houses along the trail and in Kathmandu
- Trek through local Gurung and Magar villages
- Best Panoramic sunrise views of Annapurna Himalayas from Poon Hill
- Trekking through beautiful forests, waterfalls, and valleys
- Fauna found in the region- pika, blue sheep and Himalayan Tahr.
Most Common FAQs
- 1 . Why choose Poonhill trek?
Poonhill is one of the most famous and most visited destinations in Annapurna region due to its trail that passes through cultural villages. The final destination (poonhill) is a view point that offers spectacular sunrise over the Himalayas, the view from Poonhill stretches as far as you can see. However, it is a perfect trek for trekkers, who want to experience traditional culture, and suitable for all type of trekker’s as it is a short trek and is in lower altitude.
- 2 . How fit do I need to be for this trek?
You will be walking for minimum of 5 – 7hrs a day, you don’t have to really fit but minimum level of fitness is required as the trek is not an easy one. You do have to be healthy and mentally prepared for trekking in this region although it doesn’t require mountaineering skills.
- 3 . What is the best time of the year for this trek?
The trek is possible throughout the year. However, autumn and spring are the best seasons; choose to trek in autumn (Sep-Nov) as spring is busy with expedition stuff.
- 4 . Why should I trek with Nepal Sanctuary Treks (NST)?
We (NST) believe in socially and environmentally responsible, sustainable tourism. Our personalized services are guided by these principles and our 27 yrs of experience in the field of trekking is invaluable in giving our clients quality service. Our itineraries are suitably designed for acclimatization and we use the best selected lodges through the trail and in Kathmandu.
- 5 . Can children trek in this region or are there any age restrictions?
Yes, children can trek as there is no age restrictions. Nepal Sanctuary Trek can design suitable trekking itinerary for all age group above 8yrs. However, for children fewer than 8 can have high time trekking for longer period of time and altitude sickness can be a problem.
- 6 . What to take for the trek (clothes, personal kits)?
To make it easier for you Nepal Sanctuary Treks have prepared you a kit check list, you can have a look at it below:
- 7 . Do I need travel insurance covered while trekking/traveling in Nepal?
Insurance is a compulsion as anything can happen in the trek; for emergency rescue, personal liabilities, cancellation, loss of luggage and other reasons if necessary.
- 8 . How much weight do I have to carry or how much will my porter carry?
You can bring as much as clothes you want but extra luggage is not required for the trek, you can leave your extra luggage in Kathmandu or Pokhara’s hotel. For the trek you can carry enough clothes you require in your backpack or carry only the camera, water bottle few clothes etc in your backpack. The potter can carry your extra duffle bag clothes which can weigh up to 15 to 30kg and a camping porter carries up to 30kg. However the local domestic flights allows maximum of 18kg per person.
My family and friends have used Tulsi and Nepal Sanctuary Treks for 15 years and cannot recommend him and the company too highly. The level of service is First Class. Every arrangement is tailored to your particular needs and Tulsi has fantastic contacts throughout that part of the world which ensures that all goes smoothly.
We have travelled widely in Nepal and Northern India (Darjeeling and Sikkim) with Nepal Sanctuary Treks and never ever had cause for concern. Having travelled all over the world I have yet to find a more reliable trekking and holiday company. If we were able to award stars – definitely a 5 star experience.