This trek is famous as one of the most remote treks in all of Nepal. It is a challenging trek/expedition from Makalu Base Camp to Everest region via three high passes, Sherpani Pass, West Col and Amphu Laptsa. A challenging Mount Makalu Base Camp trek goes through remote wilderness and the trek offers amazing views of Makalu, towering cliffs, hanging glaciers and waterfalls. This is an extremely isolated area, surrounded by some of the most impressive scenery dominating a very impressive mountain scale. The Trek is an ideal choice for avid trekkers and those who wish to avoid crowds.
Note: below trekking hours, altitudes and distances are approximate, and absolutely for general idea only.
- Day 1
- Arrive at Kathmandu airport (1,302m/4,270ft)
- Day 2
- Kathmandu valley sightseeing and Trek preparation
- Day 3
- Kathmandu to Tumlingtar (1,500m/4,921ft) [45mins flight] to Chichila (1,980m/6497ft) [4hrs drive]
- Day 4
- Chichila to Num (1,500m/4,921ft) 5-6hrs
- Day 5
- Num to Sedua (1,540m/5,052ft) 5-6hrs trek
- Day 6
- Sedua to Tashigaon (2,070m/6,791ft) 5hrs trek
- Day 7
- Tashigaon to Khongma (3,560m/11,679ft) 6hrs trek
- Day 8
- Acclimatization and rest day
- Day 9
- Khongma to Dobatey (3,800m/12,467ft) 6-7 hrs trek
- Day 10
- Dobatey to Yangle Kharka (3,700m/12,139ft) 5hrs trek
- Day 11
- Yangle Kharka to Langmale Kharka (4,450m/14,599ft) 4-5hrs trek
- Day 12
- Acclimatization and rest day
- Day 13
- Langmale Kharka to Makalu Base Camp (4,900m/16,076ft) 4-5hrs trek
- Day 14
- Acclimatization day at Makalu Base Camp 5hrs hike
- Day 15
- Makalu Base Camp to Sherpani Low Camp (5,200m/17,060ft) 4-5hrs trek
- Day 16
- Sherpani Low Camp to Sherpani High Camp (5,700m/18,700ft) 6-7hrs trek
- Day 17
- Rest day at Sherpani High Camp
- Day 18
- Sherpani High Camp to Baruntse Base Camp (5,700m/18,700ft) 6-7hrs trek
- Day 19
- Rest day at Baruntse Base Camp
- Day 20
- Baruntse Base Camp to High Camp before Amphu Laptsa (5,500m/18,044ft) 6hrs trek
- Day 21
- High Camp to Imja Lake Camp (5,100m/16,732ft) 7-8hrs
- Day 22
- High Camp to Pangboche (3,875m/12,713ft) 6-7hrs trek
- Day 23
- Pangboche – Namche Bazar (3,445m/11,302ft) 6 – 7hrs hike
- Day 24
- Namche Bazar – Lukla (2,840m/9,317ft) 7 – 8hrs hike
- Day 25
- Lukla – Khathmandu (1,302m/4,270ft) 35mins flight
- Day 26
- Leisure day in Kathmandu
- Day 27
- Fly Back Home
- Day 1 : Arrive at Kathmandu airport (1,302m/4,270ft)
You will be received and escorted to the hotel by our staff, refresh yourself and take some rest or explore the area around your hotel. Accommodate in a hotel.
- Day 2 : Kathmandu valley sightseeing and Trek preparation
Kathmandu is the cultural heart of Nepal and has been a famous destination for tourists ever since Nepal opened its borders to visitors. Today after breakfast we will explore Kathmandu valley, a guided tour will be conducted to major world heritage sites inside the valley. As Kathmandu valley is a beautiful combination of Hinduism and Buddhism we will visit historical sites like; Durbar Squares, Pashupatinath, Swayambhunath (monkey temple) and Buddhist shrine of Bouddhanath which is one of the largest stupa in the world. After the tour you will prepare yourself for the trek, will be briefed about the trek; buy all the trekking equipments required and overnight at hotel.
- Day 3 : Kathmandu to Tumlingtar (1,500m/4,921ft) [45mins flight] to Chichila (1,980m/6497ft) [4hrs drive]
Today after having breakfast in the hotel you will be transferred to the domestic airport from where you will take flight to Tumlingtar. After landing we will have lunch in a nearby lodge and take a transportation that will drive us to Chichila. The road to the village is very rough and passes through terrace fields and then further through forest. We will camp the night here in the village at a suitable camping site.
- Day 4 : Chichila to Num (1,500m/4,921ft) 5-6hrs
With an early breakfast we start trekking to our next destination. The trail offers us views of snow capped peaks in the distance, spectacular views of Makalu and its surrounding peak. The trek is pleasing only with few ups and downs following the trail that passes through forest to Num. Lunch will be organized on the way before we reach num; we will camp the night in Num.
- Day 5 : Num to Sedua (1,540m/5,052ft) 5-6hrs trek
Today we trek to our next destination, from Num we trek steeply downhill through terraced fields planted with corn and barley and forest to cross the suspension bridge above the fast flowing Arun River. From here we climb steeply up to the village of Sedua. The village is the entry checkpoint of Makalu Barun National Park. We will camp the night here in the village.
- Day 6 : Sedua to Tashigaon (2,070m/6,791ft) 5hrs trek
After having breakfast we rejoin our trail. We continue trekking through the rhododendron and bamboo forest, the trail leads us towards climbing out of the valley. After few hours we traverse through terraced rice fields to Manigaon from where the trail passes through forest and farmland. Within no time we will reach a school at the entrance of Tashigaon. We will have to walk few minutes to our camping site that is in the higher part of the village. This village is the last village until we reach Chuhukung in the Everest region; there are no permanent settlements in Barun valley through the remaining trail. We will camp and rest the night here.
- Day 7 : Tashigaon to Khongma (3,560m/11,679ft) 6hrs trek
Today’s trek is a challenging and a very hard day of the trek as the trail goes up real steep. The steady trail climbs through forest and further the trail starts to open out with more rhododendrons until we reach a few huts at Chipla. We then trek through the sparse forests along the ridge and descend a bit to Khongma where we will camp the night in a suitable camping site.
- Day 8 : Acclimatization and rest day
Today is an important day for acclimatization as tomorrow we will be trekking to higher altitude. Acclimatization day is necessary to prevent trekkers from altitude sickness. As we will be staying here a day hike can be organized around the village, we can walk along Khongma Danda (ridge). From the top there is amazing view to the east towards Kanchenjunga. We will return to the village for overnight.
- Day 9 : Khongma to Dobatey (3,800m/12,467ft) 6-7 hrs trek
Today we will trek through three passes, from Khongma the trail ascends steeply along with spectacular views of Makalu, Chamlang and also Kanchenjunga in the east. The trail leads to stone staircase through rhododendrons before we reach Ghungru La (4,050m/13,287ft), from her we continue to Shipton La (4,125m/13,533ft) followed by a descent to Kalo Pokhari lake. Further trekking we make a climb to Keke La (4,150m/13,615ft), after this final pass we trek down through a beautiful valley Dobatey. We will camp the night here in the village.
- Day 10 : Dobatey to Yangle Kharka (3,700m/12,139ft) 5hrs trek
After an early breakfast we leave Debotay and rejoin the trail, the trail passes along the steep side of the Barun Valley crossing a number of landslide areas. Through the trail there are large rock walls towering overhead and views of peak 6 and 7 down the valley. We must be careful from the landslides. As we trek further the valley widens and we reach a flat grassy area near Yangle Kharka, the area is suitable for camping as we will be camping the night here too.
- Day 11 : Yangle Kharka to Langmale Kharka (4,450m/14,599ft) 4-5hrs trek
Today we trek to higher altitude, with an early breakfast we leave Yangle Kharka. The trail passes though numerous of Yak pastures and herders huts, as we trek further we get to higher altitude so we need to limit our rate of ascent to ensure our body gets enough time to acclimatize. After few hours of trekking we reach at the grazing area called Langmale Kharka where there are terraces cleared for camping, We will camp the night here.
- Day 12 : Acclimatization and rest day
Today is also an important for acclimatization as we need to avoid altitude sickness and help our body get used to the altitude. A short day hike will be organized to help our body acclimatize before we trek to Makalu Base Camp tomorrow. If the weather is supportive then the trail will offer us tremendous views of Peak 3,4 and 5 as well as Chamlang. We will return to the camp at Langmale Kharka for overnight.
- Day 13 : Langmale Kharka to Makalu Base Camp (4,900m/16,076ft) 4-5hrs trek
Today we trek to Makalu Base Camp, after breakfast we head to the Base Camp. As we trek we reach Sherson the south East Ridge of Mount Makalu comes into view and trekking further we arrive at the Base Camp. From Base Camp we get clear stunning views of its South face. We camp our tents here in the Base Camp.
- Day 14 : Acclimatization day at Makalu Base Camp 5hrs hike
We need to help our body acclimatize so an optional day hike will be organized. We will hike on the slopes on the east side of Makalu Base Camp, this hike will help you acclimatize as well as offer you amazing views of Everest, Lhotse and Makalu for sure. Our top height of today’s hike will be 5,300m/17,388ft and then we descend down back to our camp for overnight.
- Day 15 : Makalu Base Camp to Sherpani Low Camp (5,200m/17,060ft) 4-5hrs trek
After breakfast we leave Makalu Base Camp and head towards our next destination, the trail follows the ablation valley on the west side of Barun Glacier and then continues on lateral moraine. As we trek further the trail is gets rocky and passes through slopes, during the trek we will witness amazing views of Makalu’s West ridge and North West ridge as well as Everest and Lhotse towards the head of the valley. Walking for few hours will take us Sherpani Low Camp, this is where we will camp the night.
- Day 16 : Sherpani Low Camp to Sherpani High Camp (5,700m/18,700ft) 6-7hrs trek
With an early start we begin our today’s trek; we trek to higher altitude today. From Sherpani Low Camp we trek passing on a rocky trail to the other part of the valley. Today is a tough day trekking in another indistinct trail and soon then follow the trail to Sherpani High Camp where we will be camping overnight.
- Day 17 : Rest day at Sherpani High Camp
Today we stay back to Sherpani High Camp and rest. A day hike can be organized around the camp or you can explore the camp, we will stay the night in the camp.
- Day 18 : Sherpani High Camp to Baruntse Base Camp (5,700m/18,700ft) 6-7hrs trek
Today we have two passes to pass [Sherpani Pass (6,135m/20,127ft) West Col (6,143m/20,154ft)] and passing them during the noon can be tough as change in weather can be a problem. With an early start around 1 am we rejoin our trail and trek up the glacier to Sherpani Pass as we start to climb on fixed ropes. Through the trail we follow a snowy gulley and then trek through a rock step before reaching to the top of the pass. We then descend on the other side of the pass down to the West Barun glacier from where we will trek up to reach the top of the West Col. From the top we trek downhill to Hunku Glacier and trekking further to Upper Baruntse Base Camp. Today there a lot more trekking using ropes to pass the passes and it will be easy if we will help each other during the trail. We will camp overnight here in the base camp.
- Day 19 : Rest day at Baruntse Base Camp
After yesterday’s challenging trek we will need to take rest today as continuing further can be a threat to your health. Not only this but We have a lot more days to trek so rest is necessary and at the same time we will get opportunity to explore Baruntse Base Camp. We will stay the night in the camp.
- Day 20 : Baruntse Base Camp to High Camp before Amphu Laptsa (5,500m/18,044ft) 6hrs trek
After breakfast we rejoin our trail and as we start the trek descending on Moraine to the lower Baruntse Base Camp then further to moraine ridges, the ridge has loose rocks. We trek towards High Camp where we will camp our tents near the trail up to the Amphu Laptsa Pass.
- Day 21 : High Camp to Imja Lake Camp (5,100m/16,732ft) 7-8hrs
Today is a long trek day; we start off early (around 4 am). The trail follows the rocky trail towards Amphu Laptsa pass (5,500m/18,044ft); we then climb a step to access the glacier and then follow it to the top of the pass. The view from the pass is amazing offering Baruntse and the West Col. There is few more hours of trekking until we pass the rocky trail and lead us to our camp located next to Imja Lake.
- Day 22 : High Camp to Pangboche (3,875m/12,713ft) 6-7hrs trek
Today we trek into Everest, after many days of trekking in remote areas we finally trek in well constructed trails and the trail begins with descending through hills and taking us to Pangboche. After reaching Pangboche we will camp our tents and rest the night there.
- Day 23 : Pangboche – Namche Bazar (3,445m/11,302ft) 6 – 7hrs hike
Today we head to Namche, after a climb through the rhododendron forest to Tangboche we descend the river at Phunki Tenga and cross the bridge, trek the steady ascending trail to Namche Bazar. Get some rest and prepare ourselves for tomorrows trek to Lukla.
- Day 24 : Namche Bazar – Lukla (2,840m/9,317ft) 7 – 8hrs hike
With an early breakfast we start our trek by descending downhill to Lukla. We will trek along the Dudhkoshi River, pine forests, hamlets and crop field with the views of mountain like Kusum Kangru, Khumbila, Tawoche and Thamserku etc. When we reach Lukla, you will be extremely exhausted so we will get some rest and stay the night at Lukla.
- Day 25 : Lukla – Khathmandu (1,302m/4,270ft) 35mins flight
We will have an early breakfast at the lodge and walk to Lukla airport and take flight back to Kathmandu, you will then be accompanied to your hotel and you have free time for yourself and overnight at hotel.
- Day 26 : Leisure day in Kathmandu
It’s also spare day in case of bad weather in Lukla if we could not fly on scheduled date and time, or we can organize you a guided day tour in or around Kathmandu, you can refresh yourself and explore the valley on your own. Accommodate Overnight at hotel.
- Day 27 : Fly Back Home
You will be assisted by our staff in a vehicle and transferred to TIA airport in Kathmandu from where you will take your flight back home.
This trek is one of the most popular trekking destinations in the eastern Nepal; this is a special section of the GHT. The region was opened for trekkers since 1998 and yet many parts of the region are left to be discovered. The trek offers trekking through unexplored trails, alpine country and traditional Nepali villages.View Package Detail