- Turquoise and serene Gokyo Lakes
- View Everest’s summit from Gokyo Ri (best at sunset)
- Exhilarating flight to Lukla
- Exciting mountain flight Kathmandu / Lukla.
- Namche Bazaar gateway of Mt. Everest
- Explore Sherpa culture and lifestyle
- Climbing Gokyo- Ri (5483m/17984ft)
- Great view of Mt Everest, Mt Lhotse, Mt Makalu, Mt Cho Oyu and other mountains from Gokyo Ri
- Ngozumpa Glacier, the world’s biggest glacier.
- Buddhist prayer stone with matra written
- Come across with wildlife such as mountain goat, Himalayan tahr, Tibetan snow cock, babbler, blue whistling, golden duck and many more.
- Fascinating traditional Sherpa village interwoven of Buddhist religion and cultures.
- Walking into serene alpine forest of rhododendron and pine trees
- Explore rich Namche village
The great Himalaya region with the world’s highest peak Mt Everest & its exquisiteness makes always people much blissful where people dream convert into reality with touching and experiencing enormous snow-capped mountain by themselves.
Trekking to the Everest Base Camp combines with Gokyo Lakes, is an exhilarating trek that offers the fantastic views of the snow-clad mountains, rich culture of the Everest region, backdrops of tranquil turquoise glacial lakes, diverse flora and fauna.
Gokyo trek provides some tremendous high altitude trekking and a visit to the second largest glacier in the World. From the top of Gokyo Ri, there are spectacular mountain views including Mt Everest. As you climb up to Gokyo RI, you will be rewarded by the best sights of mountains like Mt. Cho Oyu, Mt. Makalu, Mt. Everest, Mt. Lhotse and many more.
Gokyo Lake trekking gives an alternative to the traditional Everest base camp trekking. Gokyo trekking is to be considered as an alternative trek to the traditional Everest Base Camp trek that offers the magnificent view of the mountain peaks.
Everest Base Camp with Gokyo Lake TrekDownload Trip Dossier
Note: Below trekking hours, altitudes and distances are approximate, and absolutely for the general idea only.
- Day 01: Arrive at Kathmandu airport (1,302m/4,270ft)
Upon arrival at Tribhuwan International airport, our representative will be awaiting you to welcome with Nepal Sanctuary Treks placard. You will be then escorted and transfer to hotel. Further details and short preliminary briefing will be provided after transferring to the hotel.
- Day 02: Kathmandu valley sightseeing and Trek preparation
Kathmandu is the cultural heart of Nepal and has been a famous destination for tourists ever since Nepal opened its borders to visitors. Today after breakfast, we will explore Kathmandu valley, a guided tour will be conducted to major world heritage sites inside the valley. Out city tour expert will take you to Kathmandu Durbar Square, the traditional heart of Kathmandu and an architecturally extraordinary complex of ancient palaces, temples, courtyards and shrines. You are then taken to Swayambhunath (monkey temple) which is the glorious ancient religious architecture and center faith of Hinduism and Buddhism. Further, you will be visiting Buddhist shrine of Boudhanath which is one of the largest stupa in the world and the sacred Pashupatinath temple that lies on the bank of Bagmati River in Kathmandu. After the tour you will have ample of time to prepare for your trek and buy or rent all the required trekking equipment.
· Visit cultural Heritage sites i.e. Durbar Square, Swayambhunath, Boudhanath, Pashupatinath
- Day 03: Kathmandu – Lukla (2,840m/9,317ft), –Phakding (2,610m/8,562ft) 4 – 5hrs hike
After an early breakfast you will be transferred to the domestic airport for your 35 minutes spectacular scenic flight to the mountain airstrip at Lukla. After reaching at Lukla we meet our crew , porters and set off our hike to Phakding following ridge on the left bank of milky Dudh Koshi River to the village of Phakding. A beautiful vistas of the Kusum Kangraru Mountain can be seen from Phakding. The village of Phakding situated in the Dudh Koshi River valley north of Lukla.
· Scenic flight by twin-otter plane to Lukla airport at the altitude of 2,840m.
· Beautiful walk through the picturesque village.
· Views of beautiful rhododendron and pine trees.
· Along the way you can see several gompas, Sherpa village and mani wall
· Splendid views of Kusumkang, Kongde Mountain.
- Day 04: Phakding – Namche Bazar (3,445m/11,302ft) 5 – 6hrs hike
Leaving Phakding behind and we will start today’s trek by climbing up to the traditional town of Namche Bazar which is also known as ‘gateway to Everest ‘and town of Sherpa ethnicity. Nestled in the Himalayas, Namche is considered as a centuries old trading center between Nepal and Tibet.
After a hearty breakfast, we set out our trek following the trail continues north up the glacial waters of the Dudh Koshi River. We walk through rolling terrain, past traditional homes, cultivated fields, forests and cross bridges. Trekking half way up the hill you can see first glimpse of Mount Everest and Lhotse A few hours of walking will lead you to the Sherpa capital village of Namche Bazaar crossing path surrounded by pines.
Namche is the largest town in Khumbu region, surrounded on three sides by mountain ranges and opens out only where it faces the Dudh Koshi. This vibrant village is a central hub of the area and food, sundries and even mountain climbing equipment can be purchased here. In addition you can see yaks roaming around the streets with magical sounds of their bells. You can enjoy the splendid views of Everest, Nuptse, Ama Dablam and Lhotse from the top of the hillside town.
· First glimpse of Mount Everest and Lhotse
· Crossing of 4 suspension bridges.
· Explore vibrant Namche village
· You can see yaks roam on the streets of Namche
· Scenic beauty, deep canyon and sky-high cliffs at the backdrop is phenomenal.
- Day 05: Acclimatization, rest and explore Namche
Today we take a rest day as a part of acclimatization. There are ample of things to do in and around. We can take a short walk above the town to see the backdrop of Everest. You can also view the beautiful scenery from the national park center and museum just above the town. You can visit Sherpa Culture Museum and get back to the lodge for lunch and in the afternoon you can either relax or explore the Bazaar.
- Enjoy serene view of Everest
- Visit Sherpa Cultural Museum where you get information on history mountaineering, culture and tradition, flora and fauna of the surrounding region
- Explore vibrant Namche Bazzar You can see yaks roam on the streets of Namche
- Encounter with Mountain goat, Lophophorus, musk deer, Himalayan Thar
- Day 06: Namche Bazar – Phortse Thanga (3,601m/11,814ft)- 6 – 7 hrs hike
After breakfast we leave Namche Bazaar behind and trek on a trail with gradual ups and downs. We start descending to Kyanjuma village. From Sansa, we follow the Gokyo trails and from Mongla Pass we get a glimpse of Amadablam, Everest, Thamserku, Taboche, Cholatse, Lhotse I and II, Kangtega, and Khumbila mountains.
Further, we take descend to Dudhkoshi Khola after which it is an uphill ascend through beautiful forests of rhododendron trees before reaching Phortse Thenga. It is a small village with few teahouses and an excellent camping spot near the river (Thenga means ‘riverside’). It is an isolated village with only about 60 houses. From here we can enjoy the splendid views of Tawache and Cholaste mountains. We stay overnight in Phortse.
· View of Amadablam, Everest, Thamserku, Taboche, Cholatse, Lhotse I and II, Kangteka and other peaks along the way
· Walk through shaded rhododendron forest.
· On the way we are likely to spot Himalayan pheasants, musk deer and Himalayan Tahr and mountain goat.
· Explore beautiful small Sherpa village
- Day 07: Phortse Thenga – Dole (4,040m/13,256ft) 5 – 6hrs hike
Today’s trail climbs steeply out of the valley though rhododendron forests which give way to fragrant stands of juniper and large conifers as the elevation increases.
This trek is especially beautiful in spring when the rhododendrons are blooming. The route passes through the settlement of Tongba and Gyele to Dole. From a ridge behind Dole an even border view up and down the valley can be seen. Stay overnight in Dole.
· Come across with Musk deer, Mountain goat, Lophorous
· View of Thamserku, Tawache, Cholatse, Lhotse I and II, Khangteka and other peaks along the way
· Walk through rhododendron, juniper, confers trees
· Sherpa settlement
· Passes summer Yak pastures
- Day 08: Dole – Machhermo (4,465m/14,649ft) 5 – 6hrs hike
After breakfast, we take descend to stream and traverse the wooden bridge. Then climb uphill for one hour. You will arrive at Luza (4,390m/14,399ft) after 1 hour 50 minutes walk from Dole. From Luza trail becomes ups along the side of the valley then traverses the meadow and chorten. From here you can enjoy mesmerizing vistas of Gokyo valley, Mt. Taboche and Mt. Cholatse. Further take a short descent to Machhermo. Stay overnight in Machhermo.
- Encounter with mountain and Yaks
- View of Machhermo peaks, Taboche, Cholatse
- Beautiful pastureland and chorten with colorful prayer flags
- Day 09: Machhermo – Gokyo (4,750m/15,584) 3 – 4hrs hike
After breakfast, we follow the trail ascending the ridge of valley where you can see the superb backdrops of Kantaga and Cho-oyu. The trail becomes more ups to Kharka. The trail to Pangka (4,380m) is an easy and pleasant walk. Further the trail will be narrow and steep climb close to the Ngozumpa glacier. The end of hard climb traverses the bridge over the stream which flows from Gokyo Lake. This is the first small lake of Gokyo. From here the trail almost in level emerge the second lake at 4,720m/15,481ft. Lastly, take ascend to the last Lake of Dudha Pokhari at 4,750m/15,580ft in Gokyo Lake (4,790m/15,711ft). Stay overnight in Gokyo.
- Passes several teashops, stone houses and beautiful pastureland
- You are likely to see Tibetan snow cock, winter wren, golden duck, Soras
- Splendid backdrops of Kantaga and Cho-oyu
- Observe beautiful lakes and glacier
- Day 10: Trek to Gokyo Ri Peak (5,357m/19,216ft)
After breakfast, we will trek around Gokyo; the views in the Gokyo region are tremendous. For the best view we will climb to Gokyo Ri, the small peak above the lake. This peak is at the elevation of 5,318m/17,477ft, which takes 2 hours to reach at the top of the peak. The peak offers a panoramic view of Cho Oyu, Gyachung Kang, Everest, Lhotse, Makalu, Cholatse and Twachee.
After this, those with more energy can trek to further lakes as there’re several small peaks in this region that offer vantage points for the surrounding peaks. We will return to Gokyo for overnight.
- Views of Cho Oyu, Gyachung Kang, Everest, Lhotse, Makalu, Cholatse Twachee, Pumari from the peak at 5318m/17477ft
- Come across with Tibetan snow cock, winter wren, golden duck, Soras
- Day 11: Gokyo – Phortse Village (3,796m/12,453ft) 7 – 8hrs hike
After an early breakfast we will start to trek descending to Phortse .The route to Phortse retraces the upward journey back to Pangka. Further we walk few ups and downs all the way to famous village in Khumbu, Phortse. Stay overnight in Phortse.
- Pass through beautiful villages
- Day 12: Phortse village – Monjo (2,850m/9,351ft) 6 – 7hrs hike
Leaving Phortse behind, we descend steeply through birch and rhododendron forest to the Dudh Koshi, the trail is slippery to the bridge at Phortse Thenga. After crossing the river there is a steady walk up to the Mong La pass from where we descend to the main Base Camp trail again. We will reach Namche within few hours and descend further to Monjo Village.
- Walk through birch and rhododendron forest to the Dudh Koshi
- On the way we are likely to spot Himalayan pheasants, musk deer and Himalayan Tahr and mountain goat
- Day 13: Monjo – Lukla (2,840m/9,317ft)-6hrs hike
After having breakfast, we start our trek walking through pleasant trail; Return trek to Lukla follows isolated trail so as to avoid trekking the same trail through Phakding again.
Keeping to a trail high above, on the other side of the Dudh Koshi, we visit the old Gumila monastery before descending down to the main trail. Taking a meal break at Thada Kosi we again continue descending and within 2 hours we will be inbounding Lukla for overnight.
· Visit the old Gumila monastery
- Day 14: Lukla – Kathmandu (1,302m/4,270ft) 35mins flight
We will have an early breakfast and fly back to Kathmandu from Lukla airport. You will then be accompanied to your hotel and have time to take rest and relax after a long amazing trek.
- Exhilarating flight over forests, fields and villages with the Himalayas at the background
- Day 15: Leisure day in Kathmandu
It’s also spare day in case of bad weather in Lukla if we could not fly on scheduled date and time, or we can organize you a guided day tour in or around Kathmandu, you can refresh yourself and explore the valley on your own. Accommodate Overnight at hotel.
- Day 16: Fly Back Home
It is time to fly back to home keeping all the terrifying experiences of Nepal in mind.
The representative from Nepal Sanctuary Treks will transfer you to TIA airport where you should check-in 3 hours prior your scheduled flight.
Cost & Dates
- Guaranteed -
- Trek is Guaranteed to run
- Available -
- Trek is available to run in minimum group size is filled
- Limited -
- Only few space available
|Trek Start Date||Trek End Date||Price||Availability||Book|
|15 Sep, 2019||30 Sep, 2019||US$ 1,183||Available||Book Now|
|22 Sep, 2019||07 Oct, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|06 Oct, 2019||21 Oct, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|13 Oct, 2019||28 Oct, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|20 Oct, 2019||04 Nov, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|03 Nov, 2019||18 Nov, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|10 Nov, 2019||25 Nov, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|17 Nov, 2019||02 Dec, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|24 Nov, 2019||09 Dec, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|01 Dec, 2019||16 Dec, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|03 Mar, 2019||18 Mar, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|10 Mar, 2019||25 Mar, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|17 Mar, 2019||02 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,423||Guaranteed||Book Now|
|24 Mar, 2019||08 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|07 Apr, 2019||22 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|14 Apr, 2019||29 Apr, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|21 Apr, 2019||06 May, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|05 May, 2019||20 May, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|12 May, 2019||27 May, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|19 May, 2019||03 Jun, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
|26 May, 2019||10 Jun, 2019||US$ 1,423||Available||Book Now|
- Trekking the six glacial-fed Gokyo Lakes
- Incredible views of Everest and other very high mountains and glaciers.
- Backdrops of the bright turquoise high-altitude lakes, Ngozumpa glacier (the largest glacier in the Himalayas).
- Walk through birch and rhododendron forest and musk deer can sometimes be seen.
- Gokyo Ri (5330m/17487 feet) is considered as the best view point in the Everest Region.
- Gokyo Ri, Panoramic view including Mt. Everest, Lhotse, Makalu, Cho Oyu others
- Experience Sherpa culture and lifestyle
- Airport transfers,
- Internal flight KTM-Lukla-KTM
- Hotels in Kathmandu with breakfast
- Tea house lodge with breakfast
- Trek Permits & National Park Fee
- Staff insurance on the trek
- Trek guide & porter/s
- Duffel bag
What's not Included
- Lunch and Dinner in Kathmandu and on trek (approx. US$ 20 per day)
- Personal equipment,
- Personal bills,
- International airfare
- Excess baggage beyond 15 kilo including day pack Visa fee: US$ 25 for 15 days and US$ 40 for 30 days multiple entry
- Insurance (for cancellation, accident, health, emergency evacuation and loss, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects),
- Liability Insurance
- Optional Kathmandu Sightseeing tour
Kathmandu Sightseeing Full day tour: US$ 60 (based on min 2 pax)
Kathmandu Sightseeing Half Day Tour US$ 40 (based on min 2 pax)
(With transfer, English speaking guide and entrance fees)
Two week trekking trip with Nepal sanctuary Trek’s was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had.
We did loop trek in the Khumbu valley going up to Gokyo lakes before heading through the Cho la pass to Everest base camp and then heading back down.
Our guide Arjun was extremely helpful, knowledgeable and kept us safe. The itinerary created for us made sure that our altitude profile was completely safe and we had a good chance to acclimatize properly to make the most of our trip.
None of our party became unwell and we made it to all our planned destinations with the help of our guide and porters.
Nepal sanctuary is special in that they make great efforts to ensure that their Porter’s are well cared for, and lift reasonable loads, not the massive loads that you see other Porter’s having to lift. They make sure that Porter’s are well equipped with appropriate clothing and footwear.
We will definitely be going back to Nepal and Nepal sanctuary will be our trekking company of choice. Highly recommend for a safe, enjoyable and unforgettable experience.
Nepal Sanctuary Treks are outstanding! Our entire trek went unbelievably smoothly. Flights, accommodation, tour guides and service were excellent. I would highly recommend Nepal Sanctuary Treks to any organization. Our guides Denish, Mangal and Chhiring were simply brilliant. The care and service was wonderful. Thank you to Tulsi for his excellent coordination. Can’t wait to come back!!!